Midi Recording Early

Evermore

Do you have an external midi module that could serve as your beat source? My guess is that you are caught in Logic's external vs. internal latency bug. Step-enter a click or whatever that an external midi module could play back, then play along with it. This is a real problem and is not your "fault," you just need to find a workaround.

• 3 years later...

OK. This is an old topic but I am having the same issue. Has this been resolved elsewhere on here?

Using a external controller (Roland SPD-S), I am playing in a hit-hat and hitting pretty accurately. This is the only track (just starting the song). Normally I program the hi-hats but this song has to be more organic so want to capture the human performance.

All of the midi notes/hi-hat control messages are early (see attached screenshot). I would understand that some are early and some are late but all of them early doesn't make sense. Similar as @Evermore it is mind blowing. We know that Logic in this case in purposely putting it ahead in time so maybe it knows the latency of the drum sampler to pre-compensate?

Sample compensation is 0 (see attached)and only using one track (LXP Drum Sytnh)  without any plug ins.

Annoying to know that logic x pro is destroying the musicality of ones timing. What else is going on that we don't even know?

In the studio we look like noobs if we cant explain this to whom ever we are recoding.

I'm seriously considering to go to Pro Tools

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.53.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.53.22 PM.png

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I have had a v similar issue and i've isolated it down to a number of instances.

I'm running an i7 2020 Mac Mini with OS Monterey 12.4, Logic X 10.7.4, 64 gb Ram, specced up to the max.

I had the exact same issue with "Early MIDI", recording something on beat, knowingly and it appearing early on the grid.

after running tests i've found the issue to only occur when "Low Latency Mode" is active, and with Latency compensation set to All or Audio and Software Instrument Tracks.

I tried recording some MIDI from a Novation 49 SL Mk3 keyboard, into a project. I was having significant latency issues, so I reduced my buffer down to 128, and had latency still, so I decided to activate low latency mode. At this point, my MIDI notes started appearing early in my clips.

I then went to explore the latency compensation section in the preferences. I then found that the MIDI stopped arriving early on clip records after I moved the "Limit" Slider underneath the Latency compensation options. I thought i'd solved the issue at this point.

I then went back to my workflow, and alas came to a point in which I needed to record MIDI in low latency mode again. I clicked it on,  I then had the early MIDI issue return once again.

I then went back into the preferences and recorded multiple clips without adjusting the slider, I had the same issue continue. 

I then adjusted the "Limit" slider from its original position at 0, to 5, then back to 0 again, and the Early MIDI problem stopped again.

I'm starting to think that this is just an insane bug to do with the treatment of Latency compensation. I've used logic for 15 years, in various contexts and on various computers, and i've never had this issue before. It's VERY frustrating, especially knowing there is no direct way to report it for a patch.

Anyone with a connect who could get this info to them, at least for them to test would be a total legend.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any resolution for this issue? I am having the same problem with logic AND ableton live. Doesn't matter it's from a din midi controller into the interface, or a usb controller direct into the mac, all my midi notes are recording at least 1/64th early. I'm right on beat and I've tried playing to the metronome and an audio click track... the notes are always consistently placed early on the grid. 

Seems like an obvious reason is latency, and overcompensation by the software, but why, and how to fix it?