Midi Recording Early

Evermore

Do you have an external midi module that could serve as your beat source? My guess is that you are caught in Logic's external vs. internal latency bug. Step-enter a click or whatever that an external midi module could play back, then play along with it. This is a real problem and is not your "fault," you just need to find a workaround.

Logic Pro X 10.4.4 - 2 x 3.46ghz 6-core mid-2010 Mac Pro 32GB RAM - MOTU MTP-AV USB-Midi interface x3 - OS 10.13.6 - MOTU PCI-424 / 2408 x 3 to Yamaha DM2000 console - UAD Octo pcie card - Yamaha CP33 keyboard controller - Various sound modules connected via midi/MTP-AV's

Interesting! Yes I can set up an old Roland rack synth I have for that. I can try it out tomorrow. Any other input about running this test?

LPX 10.4.1, Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, Ram:64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, Storage 1T SSD
Sierra 10.12.3
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt

My workaround at this point is to simply play staccato notes on keyboard and guitar and measure how far to move the regions to the right to be on the beat. It’s not fun but I can get it close enough to be imperceptible I think.

LPX 10.4.1, Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, Ram:64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, Storage 1T SSD
Sierra 10.12.3
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt

• 3 years later...

OK. This is an old topic but I am having the same issue. Has this been resolved elsewhere on here?

Using a external controller (Roland SPD-S), I am playing in a hit-hat and hitting pretty accurately. This is the only track (just starting the song). Normally I program the hi-hats but this song has to be more organic so want to capture the human performance.

All of the midi notes/hi-hat control messages are early (see attached screenshot). I would understand that some are early and some are late but all of them early doesn't make sense. Similar as @Evermore it is mind blowing. We know that Logic in this case in purposely putting it ahead in time so maybe it knows the latency of the drum sampler to pre-compensate?

Sample compensation is 0 (see attached)and only using one track (LXP Drum Sytnh)  without any plug ins.

Annoying to know that logic x pro is destroying the musicality of ones timing. What else is going on that we don't even know?

In the studio we look like noobs if we cant explain this to whom ever we are recoding.

I'm seriously considering to go to Pro Tools

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.50.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.53.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 5.53.22 PM.png