Amp Sim Noise, Assistance Please

Hi all,

So I am getting ready to record my band in a few weeks. We are planning on mostly recording via virtual instruments (Amp sims, electronic drums, etc).

In preparation, I'm trying to figure out how to get my DI guitar > amp sim sound more polished. Specifically, the noise I'm hearing when notes are sustained.

My signal chain is Fender HSS strat > Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen audio interface > Macbook Pro 2010 > Logic Pro X > Scuffham S-Gear 2

I will include a link below to the problem noise.

In the audio clip, the only plugin running on the channel is Scuffham S-Gear 2. The first chord is played on the bridge (humbucker) and the second is played on the neck pickup (single coil) to give context to the sound. At the end I get closer to the monitor to pick up some EMI, which is not the same as the sound that is constant during the sustained chords. I don't notice a difference in present or fluctuation of volume when the computer fan is on or not (initially I thought this might be the issue, maybe it still is??)

The DI signal itself peaks at -15 so the DI guitar is nowhere near clipping. However, the noise following the sustained chord is driving me crazy!

I've tried gates which just completely obliterate the sustained note and eq prior to the amp sim seems to really degrade the quality of the amp sim since the noise I am hearing tends to fall in the 1.5-3.5 K range.

I don't know if this is a normal occurrence or not but there has got to be a better way to get a cleaner sound with amp sims (specifically with some dirt). I understand that amp gain is amplifying all of the noise, but what can be done to clean up the signal?

Here is a link to the sound in question!

Thank you in advance!

Jared

I’m using a pair of AT M50s for monitoring through my Focusrite Scarlett audio interface when I’m listening back to the tracks.

The noise I’m referring to is the digital noise in the guitar track when the only variable I change in the signal path is the computer it is being recorded. Guitar > audio interface > MacBook Pro vs Mac book air > Logic Pro x.

For some reason, the MacBook Air seems to translate to less inherent noise being picked up once an amp sim is applied.

Also, when I’m just listening to the DI signal of the guitar, it is very clean on both computers until an amp sim is applied.

Im also curious if I should be treating the amp sim like a real amp in some ways. What I mean is, should I leave the processing prior to the guitar amp fairly empty, then do processing to remove some of the hum and noise following the amp sim, much like someone might with a real amp.

If so, what tools do you like to use to get rid of some of the noise that bleeds into the guitar tracks? Gate, expander, eq the usual culprits?

Thanks for the help!