What is the best way to lower the output before Mastering?

jerrydpi

...Also, if I have to lower the overall output, is it best to highlight all the tracks and pull them down, or can I leave them alone and simply pull down either the Master or Stereo Out Fader?

Lower the stereo out, using the master fader or lowering all tracks will affect threshold settings in compressors etc. and mess up your mix.

You could put a gain plugin as the last insert on your stereo output channel.

That would be pointless because you could just lower the Stereo output fader (or the master fader) instead.

That would also be pointless, because…

You could simply bounce your mix making sure there are no overs. Pull it back into Logic and lower it by 6dB or more before mastering.

You could put a gain plugin as the last insert on your stereo output channel.

That would be pointless because you could just lower the Stereo output fader (or the master fader) instead.

That would also be pointless, because…

You could simply bounce your mix making sure there are no overs. Pull it back into Logic and lower it by 6dB or more before mastering.

This seems like a wise choice, is this the most common way?

I always have a gain plugin in the first slot on the stereo out....adjust to taste. Can't go wrong with that.

And what do you set the dB level at?

Remember that the first question I asked is:

Before Bouncing a Project to be Mastered, what is the best level to have on the Stereo Out?

-6db

This is what I aim for.

Before Bouncing a Project to be Mastered, what is the best level to have on the Stereo Out?

Anything below 0 dBFS that's not ridiculously low (-30 dBFS would be considered ridiculously low).

Also, if I have to lower the overall output, is it best to highlight all the tracks and pull them down, or can I leave them alone and simply pull down either the Master or Stereo Out Fader?

Best to pull down the Stereo Out fader.