Duplicate track then normalize works on original track too.

edurbrow

I tried making a new track and option dragging the kick drum track to it. I wanted to normalize the new duplicate track. When I do, normalize works on the original track too. I thought this could be because I clicked the New Tracks With Duplicate Settings button, so I reverted and tried it with the plain New track button. What am I doing wrong? I want to preserve the original track the way it was originally.

I tried making a new track and option dragging the kick drum track to it. I wanted to normalize the new duplicate track. When I do, normalize works on the original track too. I thought this could be because I clicked the New Tracks With Duplicate Settings button, so I reverted and tried it with the plain New track button. What am I doing wrong? I want to preserve the original track the way it was originally.

Simply do a 'Bounce in place.'

I tried making a new track and option dragging the kick drum track to it. I wanted to normalize the new duplicate track. When I do, normalize works on the original track too. I thought this could be because I clicked the New Tracks With Duplicate Settings button, so I reverted and tried it with the plain New track button. What am I doing wrong?

You're confusing audio files and audio regions. Audio regions, the ones you edit in Logic's Tracks area, are merely pointers to audio files: they tell Logic which audio file it should play in what location and for how long. When you copy an audio region as you've done, you're just copying the pointers, and they point to the same audio file. When you destructively process the audio file (actually changing the data inside the audio file as in normalizing for example) then any region that points to that file will reflect the change.

To avoid this, after copying your audio region, control-click the new region and choose Convert > Convert to New Audio File. Now normalize the new audio file.