Pre roll without recording?

shadowcomposer

Hmmm...why does it matter?

I must admit I'm struggling with that one myself - absolutely no offence intended to the original poster, there just seems to be a lot of questions like this lately. Do we really want our software to perform all our common editing decisions automatically in some way ? I can obviously understand a need for some particular batch processing processes but I'm afraid many of the current ideas are two or three second tasks.

Just an observation, anyway, I'm not going to be over excited about it :wink:

I was going to ignore the first time, but since two have essentially asked:

I record a mix and 6+ stems in logic and would like for the tracks I record to have very little silence before the first waveform (so that I can simply take those files and deliver them... and not mess around with chopping/editing/rebouncing). Because my source audio comes from a separate sequencer computer (also running logic) which is slaved via MTC from the recording computer, it is necessary for me to have preroll to lock in the sync. Other DAWs have the ability to have preroll and yet not start the actual recording until the insertion point.

Logic, as far as I can tell, starts creating the waveform from the moment record armed tracks are played (regardless of if recording is actually initiated). This is all well and good for working inside of a project, doing tracking and whatever else. But for my purposes it adds unnecessary steps and sucks up valuable time.

Anyway seems there is no way around it sadly.

So what bothers you is that there's silence at the beginning of the audio file even though you don't have that silence in your audio region? If that's the case then open the Project File Browser, select the file, and choose Audio File > Optimize File(s) and set Additional Preservation to 0 ms. The audio file will be edited the same way as the audio region.

Aw David I was so excited at this suggestion. While it solves the extra silence issue, it messes up the time stamp (moving the optimized file's timestamp backward to the original time stamp - aka where the silence started - rather than updating the timestamp to reflect the later time). I write music to picture and the time stamp is crucial.

Aw David I was so excited at this suggestion. While it solves the extra silence issue, it messes up the time stamp (moving the optimized file's timestamp backward to the original time stamp - aka where the silence started - rather than updating the timestamp to reflect the later time). I write music to picture and the time stamp is crucial.
Have you then tried adjusting the anchor?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there. New Logic user...took awhile to dump the multi track recorders. Having a hard time with something I think is fairly basic, and looked through this thread for help. Nothing is working, and I am sure the fix is simple. After a 2 bar count-in, as I have it set, I begin my recording, but during playback the first bar does not play even though data is there. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.