Joining audio regions to create a new file - problem

Funklord
Go to solution Solved by Funklord,

Hello, I have (for some time) been joining audio regions (...for example the good parts of several bass guitar takes) in order to create a new audio file. The benefit of doing it this way for me is that I can really modify the timing, make sure the super good licks are in the right places, and change the length of some notes etc. HOWEVER - today I am having a real problem with this in Logic Pro X 10.4.1. I have searched for a solution all day, but can't find one. Maybe it's a terminology thing, so I'll try my best to explain what is going on:

I have an 8 bar bass groove (between marker 53 and marker 61 in the arrange window). 317845170_ScreenShot2018-09-24at23_48_01.thumb.png.652a08e73d55a0f47e3679dc3631f675.png

8 bar bass groove made up of audio regions

This groove is made up of about 23 different bass audio regions (where I have split audio regions from different takes according to length / timing / single notes etc) which I intend to join together to create one 8 bar region of impecable groove and timing. Some of the regions have gaps between them, though normally when I have joined gapped regions in the past it just fills the gap with silence. This time, however, when I use the "join" command on the selected regions in the arrange window, Logic appears to be STRETCHING the bits where there are gaps (as far as I can tell) to join them together. This means that although the new audio file fits very neatly between the markers, it is nevertheless affecting the timing adversely, because I had already placed the notes/regions exactly where I wanted them. I DON'T want this apparent auto-stretching to happen. How do I stop this from happening and get back to joining regions without Logic messing up the timing and results of my work?

2006807206_region2.thumb.png.93b9e44d29e5edeac786dd400f672db8.png

final region (before being joined) - you'll notice it stops just before the 61 marker

1531954026_region3.thumb.png.1de770a500ebe460eac0fa371bc77da1.png

Same position after all regions are joined together. The new audio file "fits" itself inexplicably to 61 marker (thereby affecting the timing adversely)

Hi David, thanks for your reply. Flex is OFF (ie not highlighted) both in the arrange window and the track editing window, and Smart Tempo IS set to keep - you can see in the first image where the transport bar says 90 (bpm), just below that it says KEEP. Incidentally, both of these functionalities are not really something I consciously use ever, so could one of these be causing this issue? Very grateful to hear of any potential solution. Thanks.

This sounds a little beyond my capabilities unfortunately... Also, I have perfectly good recorded parts that I want to use. I don't want to have to re-record it. I just want to be able to join the parts without (apparently) time stretching them to fit the markers. Sorry if I've misunderstood your solution.

This sounds a little beyond my capabilities unfortunately... Also, I have perfectly good recorded parts that I want to use. I don't want to have to re-record it. I just want to be able to join the parts without (apparently) time stretching them to fit the markers. Sorry if I've misunderstood your solution.

Yes I believe you misunderstood what I suggested. You just click the output slot of your current track and choose, say "Bus 40" (any bus that is currently unused in your project). Now you create a new audio track and set its input to "Bus 40". You return to the top of the project and press record, and just sit there and wait: Logic will re-route the output of your first track to the input of the new track and re-record a new audio file with the exact edits you've performed.

• Solution

Hi David, and sorry for the late acknowledgement of your reply. I have no doubt your solution was a good one, though I didn't try it in the end.

I discovered that although I had turned Flex OFF (ie not highlighted) both in the arrange window and the track editing window, I discovered it was nevertheless still ON in a 3rd area (Region parameters window on left) which I hadn't seena. Turning it off fixed the problem. Thanks again for your help up to this point.