Macbook Pro 2018 - External USB Interface Dropout

I've got a new MBP 2018 (2.2, 560x, 1TB, 32GB) and am experiencing random dropouts/glitches with external USB interfaces in Logic (10.4.1) and in other apps (like playing a YouTube vid). Internal speakers and headphones appear to be fine. I've tried the usual buffer things in Logic, but since the dropouts happen playing any audio, I don't think its a Logic specific issue.

I'm wondering if any other MBP 2018 users have experienced similar? Other users on macrumors have reported similar with Focusrite, RME and NI interfaces.

Thanks!

Dorian

Yeah USB is a bit finicky, though I've been pretty lucky with the Focusrites. Hopefully just a bit of headache to find a new interface....assuming firewire or thunderbolt is OK. The MBP 2018s have been a bit hit or miss audio-wise from what I've read (and experienced).

Yeah USB is a bit finicky, though I've been pretty lucky with the Focusrites. Hopefully just a bit of headache to find a new interface....assuming firewire or thunderbolt is OK. The MBP 2018s have been a bit hit or miss audio-wise from what I've read (and experienced).

I think the USB-C implementation is not that great on the audio side.

I think the USB-C implementation is not that great on the audio side.

I tried with CalDigit audio out (its on USB audio), with Steinberg UR12 and it works flawlessly.

If anything doesnt work fine its on the driver manufacturers side in my opinion.

Both CalDigit and Steinberg are Class Compliant (don't need drivers).

RME has always worked flawlessly and i havent seen any reports that it wouldnt work on the new USB-C macbooks. But RME knows how to do drivers

Class compliant for the Focusrites (Solo 1st gen and 2i2 2nd gen) through both a cheapo amazon c->a and a triannium hub. I’ve ordered a UR12 for testing and my work place has a NI Komplete that I’m trying today, though a user on MacRumors has reported issues with the NI.

The NI is more a "well it can't hurt to try" thing, since at least one other user has reported it not working.... so I won't get my hopes up.....

In the large "speakers crackling" thread on macrumors, there's now a user who says a TB interface is exhibiting the same symptoms. I've asked for more details - if only to avoid that make/model (edit - Zoom TAC-2R apparently). This might also be linked to the battery polling spike issue reported on gearslutz, but I don't see any time correlation in my case since the glitches are random.

So. I did some more digging and here are some error logs (attached) which point to Apples audio handler.

I don't see anything before this that points to a different culprit that might be a different root cause for the issue, though there are a ton of log entries related to launchservicesd right before the audio glitch error log. For example.

info 08:15:46.157063 -0400 launchservicesd CLIENT: 0x7fb041f04760/29001 Received message on connection from our client:

info 08:15:46.157087 -0400 launchservicesd CLIENT: 0x7fb041f04760/29001 Mapped requested session to session id 100008

I'm not sure what those are about at this point.

USBAudioErrorLog.pdf

I may have a bit more information.

I did what I should have done in the first place and created a new user account to test under. No glitches for external USB audio. So I switched back over to my usual account and disabled the following:

bluetooth

bluetooth PAN (networking)

iCloud

Still glitches. The I realized I was still running macs fan control. Turned it off. So far after an hour of running continuous audio, the *only* other glitch I've seen appears to be related to an SMCRTC (system management control real time clock) event.

So my theory is that the SMC controller (yeah related to the KPs some users have had) is still flaky and that anything (ie macs fan control) that interacts with it aggravates the issue.

I've never felt the need to over-ride my MBP's fans, what's the advantage? Are you making them run faster so that the system stays cool, or slower so that there's no audible pick up on mic's etc?

Faster. apparently you can push the CPU a bit higher. Last time i used it was on MBP 2008, since then i trust apple with it.

I ran another hour plus test and the only time the error occurred again was right after/during a system clock sync event (timed is the daemon which in turn appears to be kicked off by dasd). The glitch sort of makes sense since I'm running off of the internal clock and if the sync adjusts the overall internal clock, perhaps its not gracefully syncing any real time audio clocks depending on it. But that's some wild speculation on my part!

• 4 weeks later...

Got a glitch! Both on internal and extenral interface. YAY.

It's just a wierd random droput/crackle every now and then. Enough to disrupt my work.

Why the hell did I pay 4k for this machine is beyond me, i must be brain damaged. The display flickers, the audio flickers, it runs hot, i paid 500$ for dongles...

Well, 10 years with Apple and i'm disillusioned. 14 days return policy is bollocks, i cant predict everything that goes wrong with it in first 14 days ... I'll need to open another case. sigh.

I've filed a second bug report with Apple (via my developer account so maybe they'll take it a bit more seriously) since they asked for a more specific report related to the "timed" process. That's what *appears* to produce my audio glitches every hour or so.

Its *very* annoying. You *might* find that turning off wifi helps since I *think* the "timed" process will kill itself or not update the internal clock if it can't connect to a clock sync server. That's my current speculation/theory anyway, but I haven't had a chance to test without wifi for that amount of time. I don't care quite as much about the glitch when I'm mixing, but if I'm recording....yeah.... very not happy :evil:

Just got a followup to my latest bug report. Engineering has requested a sysdiagnose dump immediately following a glitch occurring - trigger a dump by Command + Option + Shift+ Control + Period (.) See https://download.developer.apple.com/OS_X/OS_X_Logs/sysdiagnose_Logging_Instructions.pdf

Since there's strength in numbers, if you have the opportunity, maybe you can also log a report with the sysdiagnose and reference my bug report (45532270).

I did a clean install (not a migration) if that's what you mean? BUT....I haven't tried it on a completely stock system (with just the O/S installed)....cause that would be a real pain. I'm not holding my breath at this point and I haven't had a chance to do the sysdiagnose dump theyv'e requested yet.