10.4.2 update released

Multispace

I wondered who would want to put pictures in the notes area when I read that as a new feature.

Well, I know now the wonder of it all, I put David's picture of the mysterious keystroke symbols right there

so I could look at it while programming all my new features.... so good.

I wondered who would want to put pictures in the notes area when I read that as a new feature.

Photographs of gear to recall settings.

Photographs of drum kits to recall positions.

Photographs of microphones in front of amps, drums etc.. to recall positions.

Photographs of jolted down notes for lyrics ... or all sorts of notes.

I can confirm Macmuse post, that some strange things are going on with midi, I noticed it last night upon loading an old logic project,

I thought I was hearing Santa and his reindeer, but it was midi streaming random sounds in the background, through every instrument that was loading.

I'm still having this issue too, and unfortunately when I launch the previous v10.4.1, it's doing the same thing now too, whereas before I installed 10.4.2, Logic had been fine. I've never had this problem ever, and I've been an owner of Logic starting with Emagic Logic Platinum v4.

I reinstalled the AMT8 driver, my RME Fireface driver, trashed the prefs, restarted—all to no avail. Upon launching any project, I am greeted with a streaming blast of sound from whatever VI is on a track. The sounds don't even stay on one pitch. They randomize notes as if they are actually playing something, not just a one-pitch drone. Sometimes when I disengage the Record button on the track, it will stop, but as soon as I click it again, back come the sounds. If I open a new project, it is quiet until I put an instrument on a track, then the sound starts.

Would there be anything, anything! in the pref settings that perhaps got mistakenly ticked when installing the new version that would cause this behavior? I have also hit the panic button in my MIDI interface but it does nothing to quiet the constant streaming. This is happening with every synth from Omnisphere to the Logic ones, doesn't matter which one. When I play through a song, the notes linger until it all becomes one giant wall of stuck notes. As it is right now, the app is unusable, and I don't know what else to troubleshoot.

Yes, input view is showing activity with stopped transport, and the notes showing on the little Input Notes keyboard aren't even any of the notes that are actually used in the MIDI sequence.

If I disconnect the MIDI cables from my physical MIDI keyboard, nothing changes.

If I turn off the AMT8 MIDI interface, the sounds then go full bloom into even more notes being played, however input activity in the Environment stops. Now it has been 5 minutes since I turned off the unit and the sounds are still blazing away. If I only turn off the track, the sound persists, but if I disable Omnisphere or whatever synth, the sound stops.

It seems to be some kind of feedback loop or whatever within Logic that has nothing to do with my hardware. In a way I'm happy about that because I really didn't want to have to replace my AMT8 which has been rock-solid all these years.

Edited by macmuse

OK I have a new observation.

When a VI synth is on a track, and I close the project I get a blast of sound when the save dialog box comes up, like I mentioned a few pages ago. All VI synths give me this sound streaming issue.

However, the exception is Kontakt, and when I close the project, it closes quietly and as it should if Kontakt is the only instrument in the project. But when I add some 'synth' synth, back comes the sounds.

Have you. checked in the AMS?

Have you checked in the Environment?

Do you have other background apps running?

Have you resst your PRAM?

Have you tried cold re-booting your Mac and/or running Logic under a new user account?

I did all of the above except PRAM, didn't see why that should matter since I was using Logic 10.4.1 before I upgraded and it was fine...and since then (several days later) the computer has been shutdown and rebooted daily, and there is still the issue.

Yes, input view is showing activity with stopped transport, and the notes showing on the little Input Notes keyboard aren't even any of the notes that are actually used in the MIDI sequence.

If I disconnect the MIDI cables from my physical MIDI keyboard, nothing changes.

If I turn off the AMT8 MIDI interface, the sounds then go full bloom into even more notes being played, however input activity in the Environment stops. Now it has been 5 minutes since I turned off the unit and the sounds are still blazing away. If I only turn off the track, the sound persists, but if I disable Omnisphere or whatever synth, the sound stops.

It seems to be some kind of feedback loop or whatever within Logic that has nothing to do with my hardware. In a way I'm happy about that because I really didn't want to have to replace my AMT8 which has been rock-solid all these years.

Hmmm. Yeah that does sound like a bug. One last thing that might help is to install the free Midi Monitor app that shows and can trace any midi messages flying around your system. Might be worth a shot? Good luck!

So, 9 pages of posts, and nobody is complaining about broken plugins. I guess it’s safe to dive in?

My personal experience: no broken plugins. It doesn't have to be scary though, just make a backup of whatever version of Logic you're on right now by option dragging the app and re-name the app "Logic 10.4.1" or whichever version you're on. The original app will still be named "Logic Pro X", leave that as is. Then go to the App Store and update Logic. Whatever happens, you still have the backup.

So, 9 pages of posts, and nobody is complaining about broken plugins. I guess it’s safe to dive in?

Well, the thread didn't even make it to the end of page 1 until the first bug reports came up and it's more of them ever since. And if not plugins, this update apparently broke so many other things on so many levels it's appalling. I actually have erased 10.4.2 from my drive and that is a first since 1993.

Is it safe to dive in ? Absolutely not.

Christian

I am sorry for you to hear that but for me version 10.4.2 works like a charm; no broken plugins or whatever other issues.As always with software(and thus also with LPX), how it actually performs can be highly depended of a user's personal hardware/software configuration.

I am running LPX 10.4.2 on Mojave official release (updated from OSX 10.13, no clean install of Mojave) with an UA Apollo Twin (thunderbolt) on Macbook Retina 2015.

Can you confirm that text- and numerical-faders work correctly with your configuration ? No white text on white background ?

This is *mostly* ok for me. The only time Logic does the above is if you select a text fader (eg click on the object name, or shift-click the object - the text turns blue), then deselect it - the redraw that happens means the text disappears (white text on white background), but if you click-drag on the value to change it, the text is redrawn correctly (black on white).

So for me, the text only disappears when deselecting a text fader, so it seems it's less of a problem with an easy workaround (and I'm sure if reported it will get fixed in the next update)

Edit: Ok, redraws in general are a problem - ie if the environment window is redrawn, again the text goes away until you click/change a text fader value to redraw the text.

Edited by des99

Is anyone else seeing totally different audio clipping behavior in this version? I opened a test project that I last opened on 10.4.1 and am getting audible clipping distortion immediately upon exceeding 1.0 on the main output. It used to be that channels wouldn't audibly distort until around 5. Honestly, that old behavior was odd to me, but I assumed it was normal and that there was some kind of very soft/subtle overdriving going on. Now it just clips very audibly.

Sigh. The excitement, the features, the fixes, and then ... the gradual ... coming ... down ... to earth. OK , move cautiously. Back up the whole boot drive before you even run the beast, unless you like random MIDI drones that imprint into previous versions?

How long did it take for 10.4.1 to come out after 10.4.0 ?

Edited by fernandraynaud

See macmuse ... apparently his 10.4.1 is acting up too now. backing up the boot drive seems like a sensible precaution, no?

Or do you have a specific partial backup of the Library directories and what else that will capture all the app-specific little text and XML prefs and settings files for sure? Is there an app or procedure to do this reliably?

Hmm. 10.4.2 is handling controller assignments different to 10.3.3, in a way that breaks my setup.

Specifically, I have a 10.3.3 cs file that works properly in 10.3.3, but when I run 10.4.2, some of the assignments are missing (eg, two mode change assignments on buttons on my control surface), and the odd assignment has moved. It also deleted a bunch of other ones as well. Now I'll have to rebuild the broken assignments and hope they stick in 10.4.2...

Edit: Recreating the assignments, and for some reason, the Value MIn/Max are greyed out and can't be edited, but they can in 10.3.3... I need it to be 127/127, but it stays at 0/127 annoyingly... (I have to flip to a different mode, change the min value to 127, then flip back to the mode I want. Weird.)

Really annoying, as I finally had a wonderful controller setup, and it seems to be completely non-functional in 10.4.2 (which is what I upgraded to Sierra for...)

So now I have to load the working CS in 10.3.3, make screenshots of each setting in each mode/zone, then go to 10.4.2 and rebuild the assignments from each screenshot...