Moving mixer's channel strips... kinda

3ple

I know how we all want Apple to listen to us and make this possible, but until the "masters" decide to come up with this feature, here's how I decided to accomplish that:

1 - Create your auxiliaries

2 - Select them in the mixer, right-click and Create Track

3 - Still in the mixer, go to View and uncheck Follow Track Stacks

4 - Go to the Tracks/Arrangement window, select those Auxiliary tracks, right-click and group them with Create Track Stack... (use the Folder Stack option)

5 - Organize the tracks the way you want them to show up in the mixer and then click the triangle to close the stack/folder

6 - Go to your mixer and either click the triangle to open or close the stack (depending on how you want it to show up)

There you go. It's not a perfect solution, because you need to keep creating tracks for new Auxiliaries and drag them into the stack, but hey, it's a good way to organize the mixer and at the same time not having the arrangement window cluttered with 30 auxiliary tracks ;)

Hope it helps! :)

I know how we all want Apple to listen to us and make this possible, but until the "masters" decide to come up with this feature, here's how I decided to accomplish that:

4 - Go to the Tracks/Arrangement window, select those Auxiliary tracks, right-click and group them with Create Track Stack... (use the Folder Stack option)

5 - Organize the tracks the way you want them to show up in the mixer and then click the triangle to close the stack/folder

6 - Go to your mixer and either click the triangle to open or close the stack (depending on how you want it to show up)

There you go. It's not a perfect solution, because you need to keep creating tracks for new Auxiliaries and drag them into the stack, but hey, it's a good way to organize the mixer and at the same time not having the arrangement window cluttered with 30 auxiliary tracks ;)

I just create a new Layer and put the tracks that I want in MyMixer (what I named my layer) in that layer.

Now I can even label groups of tracks within that layer and just use Clean Up to tidy the alignment of the tracks.

MyMixer.thumb.png.f90fa4b812f3e6b78eb57811d024130b.png

I sometimes use the "hide" function to do the same. Like you, I have to create tracks, move them where I want them, and then hide them in the tracks area. (I also have to deselect "follow hide" in the mixer) :)

I tried that as well but the issue is that sometimes I have a project where I hide other tracks (like guitars, drums, etc) that I don’t want to delete just yet. I’m constantly bouncing MIDI to audio, but I keep the MIDI and hide it, just in case I want to go back and change something.

Using the Hide technique, once you go to your mixer, all those hidden tracks will also be there, causing a big mess ;)

I just create a new Layer and put the tracks that I want in MyMixer (what I named my layer) in that layer.

Now I can even label groups of tracks within that layer and just use Clean Up to tidy the alignment of the tracks.

MyMixer.png

Using the Environment to mix is not an option for me or even going there to perform those tasks. It’s an extra window and extra clicks I rather not have on my workflow. The way I described is just fast and somehow clean enough not to clutter anything, at least for me :)

...I tried that as well but the issue is that sometimes I have a project where I hide other tracks (like guitars, drums, etc) that I don’t want to delete just yet. I’m constantly bouncing MIDI to audio, but I keep the MIDI and hide it, just in case I want to go back and change something. ...

Yeah, it's no good if you already are using the hide feature for hiding other stuff... :/

I sometimes pack Aux tracks inside a stack but not always. I'm not sure there's a reason (other than being used to a workflow) but I normally keep my "Reverb" Auxes all the way to the right of my mixer, that's where I expect to see them, especially if I send multiple tracks to them.

On the other hand if an Aux processes a specific group of tracks (for example a group of backup vocals, or a drum kit, or a group of stacked guitar tracks...) then I'll include it in the track stack I'm using for that group.

In the Mixer, double-clicking an audio destination takes you to that channel strip. For example double-click a send to a certain bus and Logic will select and display the Aux that receives that bus.

It’s an extra window ...

to put it on my second monitor. :mrgreen:

I used to have a second monitor too, but since I work with a laptop and I want to be able to work everywhere without depending on extra equipment, I just stopped using it and getting used to what I can work with just the laptop :)

You know the feeling of going somewhere and thinking “damn it, I wish I had that extra ABC equipment. It makes my life so much easier”? I decided to not depending on anything other than the laptop. It works for me at least :)

I sometimes pack Aux tracks inside a stack but not always. I'm not sure there's a reason (other than being used to a workflow) but I normally keep my "Reverb" Auxes all the way to the right of my mixer, that's where I expect to see them, especially if I send multiple tracks to them.

On the other hand if an Aux processes a specific group of tracks (for example a group of backup vocals, or a drum kit, or a group of stacked guitar tracks...) then I'll include it in the track stack I'm using for that group.

In the Mixer, double-clicking an audio destination takes you to that channel strip. For example double-click a send to a certain bus and Logic will select and display the Aux that receives that bus.

I like to have all the aux tracks on the right, just because it makes sense to me since they are part of a later process, almost like Recording > Mixing > Mastering is a process. So first I just focus on the arrangement part and then the aux tracks is like when I actually start mixing, so that's why I like to have them all on the right.

Yesterday I spent the whole day just creating a more effective template for my projects and also started changing my I/O labels to match what I would do instinctively and I started using those groups of aux tracks Apple created (33-64, 65-96, etc) to group my aux tracks, that way I have plenty of space to add extra aux tracks if I need to. So the first 32 are just general effects that I use all the time like reverb, delay, chorus, etc.

The second group (33-64) I use them for individual effects, for example if I'm using a specific reverb just for a snare or a delay for a clap, etc, then I use those 32 busses for that. Then I have a group for what I call "sub group", which is when I use some kind of parallel processing so if I have a normal snare and then I use a send to have a distorted snare playing at the same time, then I use that "sub group" group. And then I have the "final group" group, which is where I get the original source (for example the natural snare) and the processed source (distorted snare from a "sub group"). That way everything is in a specific "step".

As you probably know by now, my OCD is always telling me what to do lol and having aux tracks displayed like "rev, delay, parallel compression, rev, drum group, chorus, etc" just messes with my brain :P

So yeah, yesterday was a very productive day because of that. I even thought of all the colors that I will be using to color code stuff, like each color means something specific, like Orange will always be Drums & Percussion, Light Pink is Female Vocals and Dark Pink is Male Vocals, etc. That way I will get used to them and will easily find them :)

3ple-aux-tracks.thumb.gif.433f2e5d505057f6a58d587cf974893b.gif