Compressor is working...but the meters arent showing me anything

oxband

It's an unpredictable bug. It happens to me from time to time (once ever fifty times?) too. What you can try is: 1. save your current setting as a preset 2. uninstantiate the compressor 3 save & 4. close the project 5. reopen the project 6. reinsert the compressor and 7. choose the preset and the the meters might work again. Simply quitting and restarting Logc may also do it. As I said, it is an unpredictable bug. I think it is graphical, because, as you said, the compressor is still working when this happens.

It is very annoying, and impossible to predictably recreate, therefore not possible to file a repeatable bug-scenario report thingie.

So, i actually figured something out: if the Compressor is after my iZoptope effects in the chain, it doesnt work well. However, if it comes before the iZoptope effects, then it works normally. any idea what that might indicate or how i can solve it so I can place it after the iZotope effects and have the meters work? Again, the problem isnt that Compressor isnt working. It's that the meters arent showing. I wonder if maybe it cant keep up with iZoptope or something so it just doesnt show.

The effects are Izotope 6 De-Ess and De-Plosive.

Ok, you mean iZotope RX 6.

It works fine here. I can't reproduce any problems with the compressor not working or it's graphics not working after those RX 6 plugins.

Make sure you haven't done something like enabled "Output ess only" as in these modes these plugins will only output parts of the audio that you have targetted them for processing (which might be nothing at all). Are you hearing *audio* on that channel when the compressor meters are not working (double-check, you're sure what you are *hearing* is *that* channel, and not some other routing...?)

Also, when the RX plugin is bypassed, and you're playing audio through it, and you can see the compressor meters move - when you enable the RX plugin, do the compressor meters slowly return to zero, or do they just freeze in place where they are?

If the meters return to zero, the compressor is working, you're just not feeding any audio into it, and it's not a display/graphics problem with the meters.

Also, in "Graph" mode, not Meter mode, does the compressor graph display continue scrolling to the left when the RX plugin is active?

If the meters just freeze in place, then that sounds like a more serious bug or compatibility issue.

• 4 months later...

(The problem is very obvious here. I just have one audio (guitar) track with a compressor on it. The meter does not work at all. The effects are clearly heard but the meter (or graph) is dead. This is the case during listening, recording and playback. It seems to be a bug. **)

** I'd probably take it back.. The level was too low. Although I don't see why the effects are noticeable in audio but not visually. Can be deceiving.

• 2 years later...

So, I'm on M1 Logic Pro and I guess I've ran into a similar thing. I had changed my projects sample rate in the first hour on working on a session just for live bussing (a quick hack)

Then I selected 192kHz sample rate in project settings and then back to 44.1, 48kHz, 96kHz, anything above would not register in the compressors.

I'm guessing the bug is mostly to do with oversampling for 192kHz does not apply and the metering is therefore not registering the input?

Other things I did do was:

1. took out one of the output devices in my Aggregate Device, restarted it, still broke, opened project file again and when I wanted to demo the behaviour it .......just started working.

I think Apple is monitoring this forum and cleverly hot fixing our Logic Pro sessions ;-)

• 2 months later...
I am experiencing the same thing on all my files and have never had this problem before. The compressor is definitely working because I can hear the effects when enabled and the tiny line on the mixer shows signs of life but there is no movement at all in the compressor window. Can anyone help? Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have the same issues with various plugins.

Example...my Shadow hills mastering compressors vu needles will not move until I grab the plugin and move its position on screen, as I am moving it the meters spring to life. When I stop moving it and continue to hold the mouse button it works as it should. When I release the mouse button vu stops moving.