Melodyne ARA Edits Not Saving in Logic 10.4.3

Matthew M.

Hi everyone,

I purchased Melodyne 4 Studio this past week and am trying to use it via the ARA plugin to align background vocals. Unfortunately, it seems once I save, and then re-open the project, the previous edits are gone. Some research indicated there were issues on the ARA implementation on Apple's side, leading to users needing to press play upon opening the project. Apple said they fixed this bug in 10.4.3, but I'm still seeing edits revert.

Because of this, I wanted to see if any other Melodyne users are still experiencing the same issues and, specifically, if there are any other workarounds which will make the edits stick. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

...fwiw...I've posted here and elsewhere in the past about the current situation with Melodyne.ara2 and LPX10.4.3, and Atlas007 has also succinctly confirmed, that the combination is completely unusable for any sort of "production" work. The suggested workarounds have all eventually failed for me, and please believe that I have very carefully and cautiously complied with the procedures suggested. You will, eventually, lose all your efforts. Guaranteed. (ouch :shock: )

Melodyne.ara2 does seem to work in and of itself, as advertised, up until it's time to save, then it seems all bets are off. Sometimes the edits are saved, sometimes not. (bummer :cry: ) My anecdotal guess (35yrs.senior.programer) is that this problem is related to another reported "save issue" of LPX no longer saving incremental backup versions. About the same time these issues became apparent on this rig, LPX started sending consistent fatal crash reports to Apple whenever a project with Melodyne instanciated was closed with a "Save." Reading through the crash logs (we used to call them Obits) suggested it was the main thread that had been corrupted...(sigh)...hth.../s~

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see if any other Melodyne users are still experiencing the same issues

Thanks!

I thought it was me. I've got a dozen vocal tracks on this tune that I spent days tuning and editing with Melodyne ARA. Most of the edits remained when I saved and re-opened. But several throughout did not and I couldn't understand WTF happened. I guess that's a cool new feature. I thought maybe it was because I tracked a tiny overdub into a Melodyne ARA activated track, and that threw everything out of whack? I bet it's something like that. Who knows? Thanks for posting this. I thought I was losing my mind.

Thanks, guys, good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I tried contacting Celemony about this, but they're essentially referring me to their manual, which isn't really getting at the issue we're experiencing.

Thanks for the heads up on 4.2.1. Unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issues for me.

I updated and still not working properly on vocals I had tuned last week (for 5 hours!!!)

My problem is slightly different as my previous edits are there but I cannot edit further. If in the melodyne window I can hear my alterations (even making ridiculously radical moves to be sure that I wasn't loosing my mind), but the full mix playback sounds as it did previously. Almost like the track is 'frozen' or protected. Killing me!!

Any solutions?

Edited by bonesproject

I updated and still not working properly on vocals I had tuned last week (for 5 hours!!!)

Mt problem is slightly different as my previous edits are there but I cannot edit further. If in the melodyne window I can gear my alterations (even making ridiculously radical moves to be sure that I wasn't loosing my mind, but the full mix playback sounds as it did previously. Almost like the track is 'frozen' or protected. Killing me!!

Any solutions?

Bounce it, then bring it into a fresh project and continue?

Mt problem is slightly different as my previous edits are there but I cannot edit further. If in the melodyne window I can gear my alterations (even making ridiculously radical moves to be sure that I wasn't loosing my mind, but the full mix playback sounds as it did previously. Almost like the track is 'frozen' or protected. Killing me!!

Any solutions?

Bounce it, then bring it into a fresh project and continue?

Sometimes the obvious is too obvious, thanks!

But anybody else experience this problem? Would love to correct or avoid on my other projects

...too early to tell here...for me, all the "troubles" did not show up "zip-zop right on top," but rather became apparent over time/use. Melodyne.ARA always worked as expected on the individual tracks during editing/etc, it was only later after the session was saved and reopened that the troubles became apparent...just not always...(sigh)...I'm still left concerned about the save routines in LPX, including things like LPX not "remembering" previous sessions in the opening dialogs, and not doing save/restore points correctly...etc...at least we're close to namm and maybe some of this will be fixed...hth.../s~

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I can report similar problems with some thoughts and insights. First, I am a long time Melodyne user and I am really thrilled with ARA.

After fooling around a bit I think I understand the problem.

It seems that Logic started doing an autosave right after it starts!

So, for me the problem occurs when you once start Logic project from an Autosave point after a crash (not caused by Melodyne but by something else).

I am using Softube Tape plugin (great sound) that works lowsy with iLok licence (Gobbler not working for me) and crashes all the time.

When it crashes, it creates an autosave but from the point that was save right after the last successful project open or later.

So, if you did not save a project and thus created another point, the last know Save is the one that was saved right after the load, without Melodyne ARA data.

The workaround posted by jboyjeep for the "Logic 10.4.3 with Melodyne 4.2 with ARA" thread still needs to be applied when Melodyne (ARA) edits get "lost" by Logic. (In short.. Open the project, go to the File menu and select Revert to re-load the project from the last time you saved it with the Melodyne edits).

• 2 years later...

Hey guys!

Bumping this thread as I am running into this issue still with latest version of Melodyne 5 Studio and Logic 10.6.1

Is anyone having this issue or a solution with latest versions?

I will be editing in Melo5 Ara and suddenly I hit playback to only discover all my tedious work from previous sections in same clip are gone. It keeps happening and driving me insane. Thanks for any ideas!

• 2 months later...

So it's April 2021 - 10.4.8 Logic Pro/Mojave 10.14.6 - I am still having a problem with saving edits in Melodyne essentials 5.1.1 - Reverting to non ARA Melodyne - and sometimes Melodyne ARA won't even load! Wasting a lot of time trying to get it to work - bounce in place does not even seem to save edits when they are still present before bouncing region or track in place

I;m reverting to the non ARA Melodyne - seems more stable.

...just FWIW...since I last posted in this tread my experience with Melodyne.ARA has been totally stable. And that includes having many multiple instances running concurrently. I have not lost any information at all. Unfortunately my sig. under the older posts here has been updated to my current configuration so I can't offer much more than I have...hth.../s~

Steve - Maybe Logic Pro - 10.5.1 - 10.6.1 fixed an issue - I'm on 1!0.4.8 - as I stated

I'm now trying the non ARA version of Melodyne Essentials - I'm hoping that will work. ARA is totally unworkable with everything I've tried in my setup.

I wonder who else is having success in 10.4.8 Logic Pro with ARA?

Eventually I'll update to the most recent Logic Pro X and Apple OSX - but that's a ways off.

yup, hard to tell...somewhere around here I posted the procedure that has worked without fail for me to quite some time now. I worked it out one step at a time in a test project because I had to have Melodyne work for the project I had on deck at the time; basically a wall of acoustic guitars and vocals...all tracked at different times and places...(sigh)...good luck, it can be done, that one of mine is in the can and gone.../s~