Ukulele recommendations?

Nareldame

After viewing the Dublin Reel posted here a few days ago, and viewing many dozens more uke-tubes, I'm seriously considering buying one. I've got my eye on a few of the less expensive ones and wondered if anybody here has experience with them. I'm looking for a concert size, under $100 https://waveadvice.com/ukuleles-under-100/ . Is it possible to get a good one for that price? Or would I just be buying a toy? Specifically, I'm looking at the Makala MK-C, or the Lanakai LU-21c. Also, I've been given to understand that the quality of strings can make a big difference. Opinions? Advice? TIA! Edited by Nareldame

I've got a Makala Soprano sat in the house, It sounds nice and holds tune ok, but i've not changed strings on it - so just standard.

I've also got 2 cheapy ones which came through amazon for the kids to play around on (Think they are called Malaho or something), and they just go out of tune constantly, even after/during 10-15 mins playing. Plus the higher frets are unplayable, intonation is out by fret 7-8. BUT, that said, for $20 even they are playable for basic strumming/learning on.

However, i'd class them as toys and the Makala definitely isn't in that bracket.

My favourite is the Ortega RU5, though. Which is concert size, That i play the most and it's had a few string changes now, and plays and sounds great for the price. It's also finished nicely, and i have that in my studio room. The Makala in the house.

But, without changing strings on the Kala it's hard to fairly judge the two, and playing them in different rooms too. Plus different sizes, i can't really compare! :)

A Friend of mine brought round a Harley Benton (From thomann) and that was surprisingly good too. But don't know if that's a european brand only or not. And i didn't really like the branding on it, it was quite generic looking.

However, if you ever get your hands on a decent/mid price Uke you'll notice quite a difference when playing - i picked up a $600 uke in our local shop before christmas and it was really nice. However, there's much better things i could spend that kinda money on than a uke in all honesty, like a medieval 12 string that i fell in love with! lol :)

Bottom line, Kala/Makala is great. I'd recommend, but consider checking out Ortega if they're decent price stateside.

Also, there was a Fender which i played nice in our local shop, but they've removed pricing on all instruments now so not a clue how much it was, but it was sat with the other budget ones.

Looking online i think it was the zuma model. Must admit, seeing the price i thought it was more expensive that what's listed - maybe outside of your budget, but i was really impressed with it. Played really nice, was clear and the finish looked more expensive.

• 3 months later...