Waves InPhase - Side Chain Latency Workaround

NickGraham

Hi, So this is my first post here in ages. I'm not sure if anybody has covered this already but I've just discovered a simple workaround for the latency problem when using the side chain input in Waves InPhase.

Basically, the problem is that despite the audio passing through InPhase having no inherent latency, a latency of 20ms is still reported to Logic in order to trick the other tracks into delaying to compensate for it, thus giving InPhase the ability to move audio up to 20ms back in time. You'll notice that the live version of the plugin does not have the side chain problem since it can only do delay so does not need to report a pretend latency for Logic to compensate for.

Now for the workaround. All you need to do is insert a 20ms Sample Delay plugin directly BEFORE InPhase. Only use it while capturing the waveform then deactivate from then on.

This makes both the track audio and the side chain enter InPhase at the same time. And voila!

The only catch is that the track with InPhase must not have any other latency inducing plugins or it can throw things off again. This shouldn't be a big deal though since phase alignment is usually done pretty early in the mixing process before many other plugins get applied.

Hope this helps some people out. Enjoy!

-Nick