new logic version, 3june WWDC

fisherking

one of the things i've always appreciated about this forum is how many helpful, interesting people here. but all this whining is disappointing. it's like the GOT petition; ask a million people how the show should have ended, and you'll get a million different answers. meanwhile, the showrunners only real responsibility is to their show, and (rightfully so), their vision.

anyone who expects any corporation to adapt to their specific wishes, is... just wishing. and apple, despite it's 'cool' appearance, is just that; a corporation. get over it.

in the real world, we adapt, or find workarounds, or... whine. sad to see so much whining here.

Why is it that when someone is unhappy you seem to immediately consider it whining?

i actually know the difference between 'unhappy' and 'whiny'... and stand by my comments (even my own whiny ones).

Going on six years of free updates, half of which, other companies would have called an upgrade and charged for, and still we whine/complain about it. I mean seriously, it’s basically freeware and can still compete with daws thst would have cost over $1,000.00 already. And on its worst day Logic still beats any hardware used before 1980 (minus the mojo), yet it’s still not “good enough”.

Man we are so spoiled! I think George Martin would just laugh at us.

Going on six years of free updates, half of which, other companies would have called an upgrade and charged for, and still we whine/complain about it. I mean seriously, it’s basically freeware and can still compete with daws thst would have cost over $1,000.00 already. And on its worst day Logic still beats any hardware used before 1980 (minus the mojo), yet it’s still not “good enough”.

So true!

And no iLok dongle!

So true!

And no iLok dongle!

wait... i can uplug my ilok????? :shock: :mrgreen:

I only recently updated from Sierra. but I am just sick and tired of apples obsolences games. The new macpro is too bloody expensive and now my 5,1 is being obsoleted. I’m just done.

How long do you think a computer should stay current in this day and age? More than 10 years?

Of course the new mac pro is expensive.

Apple never intended to give you a 2.5k machine and you know that.

Apple’s Mac Pro is like Dr Hammond’s Jurassic Park, “spared no expense”. It’s nit designed for the average pro, it’s designed for those who are raking in the cash and so they can justify its expense.

Going on six years of free updates, half of which, other companies would have called an upgrade and charged for, and still we whine/complain about it.

I don't care about the price. I paid 4 times the price for Logic back then and never even just once complained about it. I complain about bugs not being fixed. And if it takes more money being paid for that to happen, I'll happily pay for that.

Logic is promoted as a super top professional sequencer. So I expect it to be treated like that. Regardless of the price of admission.

Besides, we all know how Apple can afford to give it away for that little money.

So, please stop excusing any lack in terms of software support with things such as "it's so cheap, hence you can't complain". That just doesn't make any sense.

Going on six years of free updates, half of which, other companies would have called an upgrade and charged for, and still we whine/complain about it.

I don't care about the price. I paid 4 times the price for Logic back then and never even just once complained about it. I complain about bugs not being fixed. And if it takes more money being paid for that to happen, I'll happily pay for that.

Logic is promoted as a super top professional sequencer. So I expect it to be treated like that. Regardless of the price of admission.

Besides, we all know how Apple can afford to give it away for that little money.

So, please stop excusing any lack in terms of software support with things such as "it's so cheap, hence you can't complain". That just doesn't make any sense.

Bugs are forever being fixed and addressed, you just have to look at the Release Notes.

...it’s just not always the ones we want.

Bugs are forever being fixed and addressed, you just have to look at the Release Notes.

...it’s just not always the ones we want.

I know that. Yet, some longstanding things simply don't seem to ever get adressed.

Same story with all DAWs Sascha Franck.

I have not actually witnessed any bugs in my Logic version 10.3.2 with El Capitan, not saying there are not any, but not in my workflow, so I am happy and sticking with it!

one of the things i've always appreciated about this forum is how many helpful, interesting people here. but all this whining is disappointing. it's like the GOT petition; ask a million people how the show should have ended, and you'll get a million different answers. meanwhile, the showrunners only real responsibility is to their show, and (rightfully so), their vision.

That ending was bad though mate, come on! :)

Secondly, i agree - people on this forum are hands down the best i've encountered, brilliant place to visit. Doesn't mean we can't discuss like adults of course, i listen, i learn, i give my opinion and it does help to clear your mind a bit to engage on the subject, especially one like this to hear all point of views.

I got a business to run, and i want to stick with Apple but they've just made it a whole lot harder to justify with my business hat on. Psychologically it's hard to walk from them, logically it's easy. As for whining, it's my livelihood, if it was a hobby i'd be happy sat on a 2012 Mac Pro for the next 10 years in pure bliss.

It doesn't help that Win 10 is providing an equally reliable, better performing platform for a fraction of the cost, plus has infinite more options available to me.

If in 6 years you were looking at replacing your iMac and the start price was $6k, and came with less storage, just consider how you'd be feeling. I'm only wanting to stay current for security/compatibility sake and do my work, that's all.

So why is Apple using false advertising? If someone brought Logic Pro today because it did what the new specs say it does then found out it was just fake specs then what? I have never seen Apple so messed up, what is going on? Even small incompetent businesses wouldn't advertise a product that isn't available, for a company like Apple to do this is just crazy.

It's just how software licensing works, difference is with digital distribution it's more of a constantly moving platform vs disk media.

If you bought Logic when it's min requirements were for machine A then machine A will always run with that version of Logic - so no false advertising, if you bought logic today and the specs were for machine B then you need machine B to get onboard, and it will work until they bring the min specs to be Machine C, of course - but you'll never 'lose' the ability to run Logic on Machines A and B.

Remember, you don't actually own software - you're buying a license that allows you usage of it, and you agree to that when buying.

The alternative is that they do paid upgrades via serial keys, and don't progress the software as a free update via the digital app store assets, i guess. That way you can always go back and directly buy an older versions license (say if you purchased a secondhand obsolete machine) and download the files.

But for majority of users that would be far worse than what we get now, one things for sure Logic is an absolute steal for what you get, particularly the free updates. Your part of the deal is to move hardware on i guess. That's the unwritten part, but we kinda all know it.

Take Cubase for example - it's around $100/year upgrade cycle - some could argue that as a Logic user you re-invest that $600 (Logic has had 6 years free updates) into hardware and it justifies the obsolesce. (i.e. apple tax).

Of course, the big problem comes when you have a machine or apple id that hasn't got a previous Logic purchase and the machine you wish to add Logic to is no longer supported - you can't get the old versions.

...through Apple...

Well, i didn't think of trying the Google play store, i must admit! :)

...I'm curious what you're intimating here, education keys? The dark side of the internet (And no i don't mean Davids blog)?

Or will i find a horses head in my bed for asking such a thing? lol

It's just how software licensing works, difference is with digital distribution it's more of a constantly moving platform vs disk media.

If you bought Logic when it's min requirements were for machine A then machine A will always run with that version of Logic - so no false advertising, if you bought logic today and the specs were for machine B then you need machine B to get onboard, and it will work until they bring the min specs to be Machine C, of course - but you'll never 'lose' the ability to run Logic on Machines A and B.

Remember, you don't actually own software - you're buying a license that allows you usage of it, and you agree to that when buying.

The alternative is that they do paid upgrades via serial keys, and don't progress the software as a free update via the digital app store assets, i guess. That way you can always go back and directly buy an older versions license (say if you purchased a secondhand obsolete machine) and download the files.

But for majority of users that would be far worse than what we get now, one things for sure Logic is an absolute steal for what you get, particularly the free updates. Your part of the deal is to move hardware on i guess. That's the unwritten part, but we kinda all know it.

Take Cubase for example - it's around $100/year upgrade cycle - some could argue that as a Logic user you re-invest that $600 (Logic has had 6 years free updates) into hardware and it justifies the obsolesce. (i.e. apple tax).

Of course, the big problem comes when you have a machine or apple id that hasn't got a previous Logic purchase and the machine you wish to add Logic to is no longer supported - you can't get the old versions.

Sorry skijumptoes, I don't mean any disrespect but that just isn't true, I have been working in Marketing for many years and this is very bad practice and is false marketing, the website states that Logic supports 1000 tracks, the current version doesn't, the new specs should not be up until it's available, otherwise it is false advertising, If you buy something that is advertised on the website as having some capability and then it doesn't then that is false advertising and would require an immediate refund, and in some countries could make the company liable, not that Apple care about that but it is very bad practice and I have never seen Apple behave like this, usually they are very careful/Professional in this regard, so it's weird IMO.

and I have never seen Apple behave like this, usually they are very careful/Professional in this regard, so it's weird IMO.

Me neither. They also usually don't do product presentations several months in advance of the actual product being available. Usually, when they present something new, you can order it the day after.

Not the UK site, the main Apple site.

I'm surprised it's updated (as I mentioned earlier in the thread), which to me either means it's a mistake, or the new version is coming out imminently (but perhaps is taking some extra days for some reason).

In any case, "false advertising" - knowingly intentionally offering misleading information to convince people to buy something that isn't as advertised - is a bit of a stretch here.

And it's not like the new version with 1000 tracks doesn't exist, or isn't coming...