New Logic update 10.4.5 is here!

DRC Music
Go to solution Solved by gnubee,

So I downloaded this update, and suddenly my Korg nanoKontrol 2 stopped working. I tried deleting it from the Control Surface setup and then re-adding it, but it won’t add.

I haven’t been using the Korg driver for a while because the nanoKontrol worked fine without it, and it caused stability problems when it was installed. It hasn’t been updated for a few years.

I’d love to hear from anyone with a similar experience or suggestion.

Did you resolve this? I have a Korg nano but haven't upgraded to 10.4.5 yet

I have not. Nor have I established that it’s a common issue and not something specific to my setup. I haven’t found an account from anyone with the same problem.

Fwiw, as mentioned on GS and confirmed by yours truly, there seems to be a sort of major bug with freezing while "only load plugins required for playback".

When you unfreeze a track, the instrument used reverts to its default setting. In case of Kontakt, it just gave me an empty instance.

When I deactivate the new "only load required plugins" function, things are back to normal.

Do a save before you re-freeze your track if you've made changes to a plug-in.

Where did you find black? I don't see it on my Color Pallet.

Doesn't exist in the color palette but forum member Stardust Media shared a Logic project with a black colored channel strip that you can import into your own projects. Do a search for it on this forum.

Thanks for your advice, anp27.

Although I didn't find that project. But I'll try again.

Working very well so far for me! I noticed a pop/no audio thing when first hitting play w/the first project I loaded, but sure that's a problem with my ancient interface.

I've had that same thing on a new interface and in the last ver of logic too. Not sure what causes that once in a while other than in my case something to do with Komplete

I usually program drums in the step editor, and I've encountered a strange behavior since installing 10.4.5: sometimes when drawing in a note with the pencil, a different note will play. Instead of playing the note I'm drawing, Logic will play a different note that's playing at the same time.

For example: I have a kick / snare pattern already drawn in, and I'm adding cymbals. I'll draw a few hi-hats, but occasionally instead of triggering the hi-hat that I'm drawing, the kick or snare that falls on the same beat will play instead.

Did anyone tried to test if Logic can spread a track load on multiple cores? Aka new project, create a single track, place a heavy-hitting CPU instrument (like oversampled Serum, or u-he Diva), then place a bunch of insert plugins that support oversampling and max them out and see if a single track - that with older Logic versions would instantly overload the audio buffer - now gets processed over multiple cores and avoid overload? I can’t test it right now, I’m on vacation. But if it does, it would be the first DAW to do that (apart from Reaper I think).

Did anyone tried to test if Logic can spread a track load on multiple cores? Aka new project, create a single track, place a heavy-hitting CPU instrument (like oversampled Serum, or u-he Diva), then place a bunch of insert plugins that support oversampling and max them out and see if a single track - that with older Logic versions would instantly overload the audio buffer - now gets processed over multiple cores and avoid overload? I can’t test it right now, I’m on vacation. But if it does, it would be the first DAW to do that (apart from Reaper I think).

That is unlikely to ever change. You can't really parallelize a serial plugin chain.

Just tried, it still can't spread across cores. Imagine having 56 cores and one core maxed will bring it to its knees.

Well, that's the thing a single core is going to be about the same as an i7 Mini i expect? Hard to get around that puzzle though, despite Bitwig leading in that field!

If the Mac based ARM processors come out and i they have drastically improved single core speeds then it's a game changer for sure.

Edited by skijumptoes

I guess I can only update to Logic Pro 10.4.5 on my Macbook Pro as my 2009 Mac Pro in the studio won't update to High Sierra. I'm stuck on Sierra there. I hoped that I would've been able to upgrade as I did a firmware update a long time which turned the Mac Pro from a 4,1 to a 5,1 model which allowed me to install Sierra.

Now when I try to install High Sierra, the installer wants to do a firmware update again, but fails every time.

I know there are other workarounds (like this one), but I don't want to mess around too much on my professional Mac as it might decrease stability and I can't have that. If anyone else with the same Mac Pro did get it to work successfully, I'd like to know ofcourse. I'd like to update to this version of Logic, especially because of the optimized Project loading feature.

Mark

I done it on a 2008 Mac Pro and it's running High Sierra fine, not a problem.

Although, the hardware struggles, the GPU is underpowered on mine to be running dual displays really.

Did you use the method I linked to in my post?

And is it stable enough to use in a professional setting you think? I do have a slightly newer Mac Pro.

Mark

Yes i used the dosdude method and mine lost it's WiFi, and yes i use it in a professional environment, but not for Audio, it's used for design and app testing and is as solid as it's always been.

I went from El Capitan to High Sierra, in some respects it was quicker (General usage), in others it was slower (Graphical areas).

Also, the version of Logic i upgraded to at the time was 10.4, and that was definitely a bit harder on the machine, experienced a few dropouts where i normally wouldn't. If you're on a 10.4.x version of Logic and moving to 10.5.x you may not experience any loss in performance - i think that's more critical than the OS upgrade if i'm honest, OS wise i don't think there's a huge amount of difference between Sierra and High Sierra personally - other than GPU requirements.

Just tried, it still can't spread across cores. Imagine having 56 cores and one core maxed will bring it to its knees.

Exactly that is the one problem with how Logic works, if you run S1 or Reaper you need as many cores as possible, but in Logic the individual core is the thing that can bring logic to a grinding halt, if only they could allow VI's to use two or more cores when being played in real time, I can dream.

Some heavy third-party plugins have a "multicore" mode, eg Diva & Repro5, where they can spread their own load across cores, which can help. But if the plugin doesn't support this, Logic can't make the plugin do it - remember, that load is mostly created by the plugin's processing, not Logic.

Another new bug? - create a track, add a send, option- click or right click on the send bus (the right hand one of your two channel objects) and choose “create track” and . . . nothing happens, except a couple of existing tracks get highlighted. This + the freeze bug mean back to 10.4.4 for me, unfortunately . .