smart tempo - recording midi + audio simultaneously

Mark F Uk

Hello,

I'm trying to use the new smart tempo function in LPx.

I want to record midi piano and vocal at the same time. I want logic to follow the tempo of the piano. With mode set to adapt or automatic - Logic seems to take the tempo from the vocal track - not the midi piano. On playback the vocal is stretched out of sync with the piano. Anybody have experience with this? What am I missing here?

With thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
3 years later. Wondering if anyone on this old post knows if you can now record audio and MIDI at the same time using adapt tempo in the latest version of Logic.

I’m trying to record MIDI drum tracks and sing bass part ideas.

As far as I know, unless David knows something I don’t, the developers still have not found a way to allow Logic to do both simultaneously without getting confused as to which is really defining the tempo.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would also like to record multitrack with MIDI tracked drums. As in guitar, bass, vocals and MIDI drum tracks/performance. I play a Roland TD50 kit triggering Superior Drummer 3 for the drum sound. This allows me to replace the drum sounds if needed for the mix and easily fix or add parts.

• 2 weeks later...
3 years later. Wondering if anyone on this old post knows if you can now record audio and MIDI at the same time using adapt tempo in the latest version of Logic.

I’m trying to record MIDI drum tracks and sing bass part ideas.

As far as I know, unless David knows something I don’t, the developers still have not found a way to allow Logic to do both simultaneously without getting confused as to which is really defining the tempo.

Hello folks,

I would love to hear any suggestions or possible workarounds for this. I play a Roland Octapad along with a Bass player and it would be great to have the audio from the Octapad and midi working together.

• 6 months later...

I am also struggling with this. 

So far I have figured out a potential workaround, though it is annoying/dangerous and should be fixed by Apple:

1. If you have ADAPT on you MUST do an UNDO after recording or else your MIDI will be forever out of sync. This is the part that really stinks and can mess you up.

2. After you do that, the tempo changes are gone, so what was the point of not just doing KEEP tempo?

3. Strangely, you can recover the adaptive tempo now if you select the audio file and choose "Edit > Tempo > Apply Region Tempo to Project Tempo...."

4. This time the MIDI will adapt correctly!

More Findings:

5. If you record with KEEP, you will not be able to get back the the adaptive tempo, but MIDI will stay in sync. You can try doing "Smart Tempo > Edit > Remove Original Recording Tempo and Analyze Again" but I find that this always gets different results than ADAPT would have achieved. Better or worse, I'm not quite sure.

6. If you record with a click track on, you may not get back the adaptive tempo (or not get it to begin with). This might just be because it was bleeding into my audio track.

7. If you record with AUTO you get the worst of both worlds - the MIDI will be out of sync AND you cannot undo the "export tempo" step to get it back in sync.

8. Having "Project Settings > Smart Tempo > Defaults for Flex & Follow Region Settings> Set New Recordings: On" is the same as using ADAPT mode, it now basically ignores  what your "Project Tempo Mode" is set to.

Edited by l12
add more findings

• 9 months later...

Thanks l12.

It's been a while since I've had a chance do anything. I'm still trying to find a workaround. I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it hasn't worked.

So just a reminder. I play a Roland Octapad. I send the left right audio (there's only a stereo out - ) to Logic via my audio interface and I also send the midi data , so I can add other drum sounds etc. later and also because I don't have multitrack separation of the audio from the Octapad.

When recording with other composers / singers songwriters it's often better to use adapt tempo.

As this post started with and which was explained Logic can't work with audio and midi simultaneously in Adapt Tempo.

So I'm almost there with a workaround. If I record the audio and mid with Keep Tempo selected but don't use a click , I can remove the tempo information from the audio files and import them into a new project and then adapt the tempo to the imported audio files. This works and now I have the freely played audio with a new tempo map. The audio regions are now a different length. But when ,after that (now with keep tempo selected) I import the midi or copy and paste it into the new project the midi region doesn't change to match the length and timing of the audio region.

Is this possible , or am I hopefully missing something glaringly obvious!