Apple still selling this computer

I went into an Apple affiliated store here in NYC . He only sells and repairs macs. He would NOT install OWC's 12 core CPU in my 3015 6 core unit. Also probably not wise to invest much in it, because they would soon stop repairing it. As soon as the 2019 Mac pros came out, Apple deleted the download link to the 2013 Mac Pro manual..

I told him in 2015 Apple refused to fix or sell parts for my 2008 mac pro. He responded, their directive is to NOT repair Macs older than 6 years old..

• 1 month later...

Isn't there some kind of law requiring companies to support their wares for 10 years? I love Apple computers and iPads. Their business model...not so much.

EDIT: I still have a 2007 core 2 Duo with TWO (2) GB RAM. Snow Leopard! I'd be willing to part with it for...hmmm....€1100. Shipping included. :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...
Decades ago there used to be, before home computers. Things like parts for cars, refrigerators etc.. I have no idea of it now. Most likely some large corporation gave funds for congressmen's elections to change the law. Also since computer technology changes so fast. It would be very expensive to maintain that rule. Ultimately that cost would be passed to the purchaser anyways. Still a few times over the years, I bought a brand new Mac, only to find a newer model came out a couple of weeks, or months later. We now have more sites like 'Mac rumor' which keeps us apprised.

When I buy a new Mac, I always buy the maximum available coverage of the AppleCare® warranty. These computers are basically un-repairable: what they do is to send you a replacement. (And I "re-up" the warranty on the replacement unit when it arrives.)

I use AppleCare because I know that I can take the unit to any authorized store or service center, anywhere that I happen to be, and they will look up and honor the warranty. You really can't afford the costs of repair outside of warranty.

I almost always buy them from the "refurbished equipment" section at Apple.Com. These units are "like new" but they cannot by law be sold as "new." AppleCare coverage is available for them just as with a new unit. Yes, they charge sales tax.

Since I utterly depend on these computers in various ways for my livelihood, I basically consider that the service-life of the unit is going to be "until the warranty runs out." Then I replace it and donate the old system. I can depreciate the entire purchase in one year on my US income tax return under Section 179.