Logic is messing with me (distortion, things turning off & on, volumes not right)

Noodle101

Hi, I seem to be cursed with Logic and it is constantly giving me issues. While I may still be learning, there is definitely something up with this software. The issues are making things really confusing for me. The least of my worries is things are turning off randomly - such as the auto punch, flextime and cycle. I have stopped using the auto punch feature to record new takes for my audiobook, because every time I initiate a new take there is a chance the audio quality will become heavily distorted. When I call Apple Support for help, they tell me that unless I can replicate the problem on the phone they can't help. This is not possible to do within a one minute listening period, as the problems seem to come and go, with no rhyme or reason. Today I created a new project from my voiceover template, which I then imported an already made audio file into. The volume of the file in my project comes back a good few decibels lower than the original file quality, whereas when I usually do this process the volume is exactly the same as the original. Keep in mind all the template settings are off, and I have older projects using this template, which I tested importing audio into and the volume is not lowered in those. So its only new projects using this template. So if anyone could help me with that immediate issue, it's appreciated, but overall if anyone can help me with some advice on how to refresh or reset Logic Pro out of all these issues, I'll take it. I'm worried about what other aspects of my work are being sabotaged by this program.

The volume on everything is actually drastically lowered now. New recordings as well are much lower in volume than before. It's almost as if some invisible gain setting has been turned way down, but I can assure you everything is off. This does not happen with new projects not using my voiceover template, but I need to be able to use that. I actually paid one of you guys to custom make this template for me, and don't know how to recreate it myself from scratch.

Couple of things:

If you're not having issues without the template, that means the template is not right or is corrupted.

I don't know what things you need that are essential for your specific voice-over, but it shouldn't be hard for you to create one yourself. You can ask here and we can find the best solution.

The double waveform is nothing weird, it's just a representation of a stereo file when zoomed in.

And last but not least, judging by the size of the waveforms, you have a healthy signal coming in.

PS: Relax, Logic is not trying to sabotage you. It cannot do things on its own without user intervention. It's only an app.

Note that in your Tracks view menu bar your waveform zoom button is blue, that means your waveforms are zoomed in, so it's hard to tell the actual level of your recording visually by only looking at the waveform.

If you want to troubleshoot your Logic issues you'll need to tackle them one at a time, independently, so that we can run some tests, ask for clarification and find solutions. Like triplets said, nothing happens randomly in software, every behavior has a reason, you just need to isolate them and troubleshoot in a scientific manner — and we're here to help.

Appreciate it fellas. I found that the input volume slider was actually down a bit from usual so that explains the volume issue. But why would this setting carry over to my template if I never saved it that way? And in general I see things turning on without me prompting it, and I'm not even sure why the volume was changed because I don't recall messing with that.

Many parameters randomly changing. I think I will just make a new template, because I'm worried that this one is malfunctioning. I wanna copy over the settings exactly as you made for me. I can just do the plugins, but I was wondering if there was anything else I needed to copy over, because I don’t remember where to look for some of the things you had tinkered with. I foolishly did not save some notes from when you helped me. Appreciate the replies.

I remember us saving the plugins for Channel Strip and Stereo Out as Channel Strip Settings, so you can easily recall them. If you have refined them in the meantime, open a good sounding project and save Channel Strip and Stereo Out as Channel Strips from there and re-use them in the new Template.

So I am copying items over to the new template. As you can see it looks slightly different. Went and did it over again to make sure it wasn't my bad, and yes this is the same save, I didn't mix it up with anything or whatever. Worried about what else is being messed up in transport.

before transport

585369744_ScreenShot2020-06-23at9_12_51PM.thumb.png.059a36a7f16d7d1e63c18fcd71cf653d.png

after transport

966090372_ScreenShot2020-06-23at9_20_51PM.thumb.png.48e10ec105272a5de862089a7e4dbffe.png

As you can see here (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=149955&p=784946#p784946), I copied my plugins from an existing template to a new one. However using this new recording setup, it does not sound the same. Not bad, just not the same levels. exported files don't meet the requirements in the ACX check in audacity for my audiobooks, by a mile. That's the whole reason I'm using these settings.

it does not sound the same. Not bad, just not the same levels. exported files don't meet the requirements in the ACX check in audacity for my audiobooks, by a mile

Then you have to tweak the settings on your stereo out.

I see you have an Adaptive Limiter and then a Gain plugin. What are their settings?

Also, make sure Normalize is set to OFF in the bounce dialog.