Problems with amps and pedals

LemonCrispy

Greetings,

I currently have a problem in which the effects of amps and pedals in logic are not working when I play. I can only hear them once I record something and then I play it back. Does anyone have an idea of why this may be happening?

Also, this only happens when I use an audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3). If I were to connect my guitar directly to the computer this doesn't happen.

Quick update:

I kept trying different things. And I tried to listen to the recordings by disconnecting the interface from my computer and instead connect my headphones to the computer directly. It turns out that the recordings sound much louder and clearer when I listen to them directly through the computer.

So what do you think? Do I have a problem with Logic itself?, or do I rather have a problem with the way that my interface is interacting with Logic?

Also, my recording volume is too quiet. I bought a booster that helped a bit, but I still have problems with this as well.

Adjust your recording volume in the analog world before the signal reaches the A/D converters inside your interface. Raise the gain knob for that input. Or is it already all the way up? What level do your recordings peak at?

Also, my recording volume is too quiet. I bought a booster that helped a bit, but I still have problems with this as well.

Adjust your recording volume in the analog world before the signal reaches the A/D converters inside your interface. Raise the gain knob for that input. Or is it already all the way up? What level do your recordings peak at?

Inside Logic, the recording volume is set at -5.0 dB. The gain in the Focusrite is set at 9 o'clock, and the "inst" option is turned off.

I cannot increase the gain from the Focusrite, if I do it will start clipping.

If I turn the "inst" option on, then I have to basically turn the gain from the Focusrite all the way to the minimum so it doesn't clip, however the audio is too silent.

After trying some other things out. I found out that I have a problem when trying out vocals. I am not able to hear myself, both when I am or not recording. However, even if I cannot hear myself, the Focusrite shows me if I am clipping or not. Which I find weird.

Also, even if I cannot hear myself while recording, everything that I sing is recorded. And I can then hear it back afterwards.

Is there any way that the Focusrite is sending the signal all the way to logic, yet I listen to the signal before it reaches the computer? I guess that would explain why I hear the guitar without the amps and pedals. Or is that not the case?

If it is how could I change that? I already have both the input device and the output device set to be the Scarlett Solo USB

If I turn direct monitoring off there is no audio coming out.

Direct monitoring on let's you hear just the clean sound that gets to the interface. If you don't hear signal when it's off, something's not right.

nside Logic, the recording volume is set at -5.0 dB. The gain in the Focusrite is set at 9 o'clock, and the "inst" option is turned off.

Leave the fader in Logic at 0dB. This fader does not affect the recording level at all.

You have to select the Inst option, otherwise you have signal impedance mismatch. Adjust the gain so it doesn't clip.

Do you see two input options when using the Scarlett?

I do see those options on the Scarlett. But when I turn the Direct monitoring off, no sound comes out. And when the inst option is turned on, I need to dial down the gain of the Scarlett to almost the minimum, otherwise it clips.

Also, if I place the fader at 0 dB, it starts clipping.

Which input are you selecting? 1 or 2? Or do you see only 1 input?

Like I said earlier, the Logic fader has NO relevance on the input gain. Make your adjustment at the interface.

Update: I recorded with the settings that you recommended:

Inst: on

Direct monitoring: off

Fader: 0 dB

I couldn't listen to what I was recording at the moment, as well as after when I played it back. However, once I turned on direct monitoring I was able to listen to the recording. It sounded really good.

Also, while recording, the peak level reaches 0 basically all the time. This is also the case when I am not recording and just practicing. However, when I play the recordings back again, the peak level never reaches 0 even though it did before while recording it.

Which input are you selecting? 1 or 2? Or do you see only 1 input?

Like I said earlier, the Logic fader has NO relevance on the input gain. Make your adjustment at the interface.

I select input 2 for guitar input 1 for vocals.