Few questions from a blind person for using a live session in Logic X Pro

Exodus92

Hi,

I’m a blind person learning to how to use Logic X Pro. Sorry for my poor English but I have a few questions and ideas that I wanted to try to do on it.

1. I want to send a midi data to my keyboards like tempo not velocity or values and no notes to play only audio sounds from my hand, but I want to have effects like flangers, delays and etc in the same tempo that my DAW have in the session. I heard that I can do something like that with external midi tracks when I connect a midi interface to my computer and use midi cables to my music gear.

2. I want to have few tempos in my session, because I need it for a live performance when I going to play with my band. Sometimes must be different for one song, but the moust important thing for me is that I need to have all set on one session.

3. Yes, the third think is how I can manage some data like markers that give a message to the DAW to stop a song metronome and background audio playback to do a space where the vocalist can speak to the crowd and when he going to end doing it I can hit play button on the my MacBook keyboard or my controller and this action goes to start a next song with different metronome, tempo information for my keyboards, playback and etc.

Please guys help me and show me the simple way how to do this things? I’m a beginner in Logic X Pro and I need a very idiotic translations, because working in my Macbook on this way is for me new. Thanks for all of you that could show me how to manage this things. I hope that is not a big problem for advanced users to teach a beginner like me this actions and events.

1. I want to send a midi data to my keyboards like tempo not velocity or values and no notes to play only audio sounds from my hand, but I want to have effects like flangers, delays and etc in the same tempo that my DAW have in the session. I heard that I can do something like that with external midi tracks when I connect a midi interface to my computer and use midi cables to my music gear.

Your question isn't clear regarding what you wish to do with your keyboards.

I believe understanding that you want Logic to be the tempo master of your gears, so their sound fx (flanger, delay) will be in sync with Logic set tempo.

There could be different ways to achieve same, depending of the gears involved.

I would suggest you read about the Synchronization project settings documentation, more precisely about the MIDI section.

Also providing more information about your gears involved could help us help you...

2. I want to have few tempos in my session, because I need it for a live performance when I going to play with my band. Sometimes must be different for one song, but the moust important thing for me is that I need to have all set on one session.
Again here, there could be different approaches.

You could use Project Alternatives, Track Alternatives,

or use the same project and span your different songs longitudinally (following one another in the timeline), using markers to freely navigate from any song to any song, or a combination of both (depending of the complexity of what you wish to achieve).

Either ways, in Logic you could set different tempis along a timeline, which will happen when the playhead reaches it.

The project (session) tempo changes could be set in the Tempo global track.

If needed, same could also be edited with surgical precision in the Tempo List.

Like many other features, Logic can hold within the same project (session) different tempo track alternatives called Tempo Sets, which opens another approach to achieve your sought goal.

3. Yes, the third think is how I can manage some data like markers that give a message to the DAW to stop a song metronome and background audio playback to do a space where the vocalist can speak to the crowd and when he going to end doing it I can hit play button on the my MacBook keyboard or my controller and this action goes to start a next song with different metronome, tempo information for my keyboards, playback and etc.
Right clicking on the play button will reveal (in a popup contextual menu) different options to control how it will react when invoked.

When none of the options are selected (or check-marked), the play button will react as a regular play/pause button:

i.e. hitting the spacebar will stop the current playback. Hitting the spacebar again will resume the playback at the position it was stopped.

1. I want to give a message to my keyboards that the tempo of delay and arpegiator is 180 BPM in this moment. I need it to better adjust tempo information, because for a blind person like me is difficult to set the same tempo on both keyboards only if you got encoders or wheels to set values on your gear. I use six keyboards, but for different genres I have a different set for live playing.

My music gear is:

* Kurzweil Forte – for pianos, e-pianos, Hammond organ and symphonic stuff

*Yamaha MOXF6 – to being a second keyboard in my every set

* Korg Karma – to playing symphonic stuff and solos

* Yamaha CS2X – electronics sounds, leads

* Korg X-50 - to be a small synth for some gigs Where I need something little to transport

* Roland AX-Edge – to play solos and lead stuff

Also I have two controllers

* Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 – for home use

* Behringer X TOUCH – to control better what I have on my sessions when I record playbacks for gigs or my personal use

· 2. It’s that second thing that I need tempos for few songs and I need set it for 10 songs on a live set. I need like 140 BPM for 07:30:05 minutes at first song, second 165 BPM for 6:12:15 and etc. The best way I think that is good for me it’s to do a metronome track. Can I do something like that and send it for different outs? I was thinking to do a buss mixing groups with different outs, because I must send for me a metronome, playback and my parts for my rhythm guitarist and drummer on a stage monitors and send different signal for front of the house to the main mixer and for that I need a metronome track.

· 3. Probably you don’t understand me. I need to set a info to Logic that he must do a action stop for every ending of the song automatical without me and I can wait for a signal from our frontman to hit play button for the second song. You know Logic is playing 7:30:05 minutes and when that time ends he stops everything on and when I don’t hit play button he don’t go next and don’t play the next song that have 6:12:15. I need it for different tempos, time lines and etc.

I hope that sounds more clear for you and again sorry for my english. Please remember that I need only shortcuts for actions not mouse, because I'm blind and I can't do some things the same like you, but thanks for your answer to the second point that I put here. I must listen to some videos about that and read about it to better understand how I can do it.

1. Those keyboards should be set as sync slaved to Logic. I can easily imagine that being blind represent a real challenge having to deal with all those parameters that each of the gear features. Honestly, that actually represents a challenge for someone with clear vision! I hope you have someone to help you managing with all those settings...

2. Logic already have a metronome (Klopfgeist plugin), which could be set to send on different outputs. Some people prefer creating a click track (consisting of MIDI note events recorded on a MIDI track). Latter offers more versatility, such as sending a different tempo or sound on each output.

3. To pre-program Logic to stop at some points, one could use the META events #52. Once stopped, to restart Logic to play the next song, one has to use the key-command (or the assigned controller button) "go to next marker" (or "go to marker #X"), which marker has of course to be positioned (timewise) after the META #52 event; and then hit the playback button. Those buttons assignments could either be done in the key command window and/or in the Controller assignment window.

Since you are dealing your sessions in terms of minutes and seconds, you could set the time ruler accordingly by removing the check-mark next to “Use musical grid” option in the General Settings, as Logic defaults to display its timeline as bars and beats. Or (alternately) display it as a secondary ruler (default US key-command: Control-Option-Command-R).

To sum up, you need to learn (or familiarized yourself with):

• How to adjust you different keyboards to follow Logic sync signal. That kind of information is normally found in their respective user manuals. (It is often referred to as MIDI Time Code or MTC).
  • To adjust Logic sync preference to transmit same to your gears, as I mentioned in my previous post.
  • The Klopfgeist plugin and the metronome and likely also with the latter's settings.
  • How to record / edit MIDI events in Logic, if you plan on creating your own MIDI click tracks.
  • How to use the Event List editor to add the META #52 events.
  • About global tracks to create markers and to create tempo changes.
  • About assigning controllers to issue the go to next song and the start playback buttons.

By the way, I hope that you are aware that my posts contain many url links, which when clicked on, opens on the documentation I am referring to... Those url links are the underlined text...

1. Those keyboards should be set as sync slaved to Logic. I can easily imagine that being blind represent a real challenge having to deal with all those parameters that each of the gear features. Honestly, that actually represents a challenge for someone with clear vision! I hope you have someone to help you managing with all those settings...

2. Logic already have a metronome (Klopfgeist plugin), which could be set to send on different outputs. Some people prefer creating a click track (consisting of MIDI note events recorded on a MIDI track). Latter offers more versatility, such as sending a different tempo or sound on each output.

3. To pre-program Logic to stop at some points, one could use the META events #52. Once stopped, to restart Logic to play the next song, one has to use the key-command (or the assigned controller button) "go to next marker" (or "go to marker #X"), which marker has of course to be positioned (timewise) after the META #52 event; and then hit the playback button. Those buttons assignments could either be done in the key command window and/or in the Controller assignment window.

Since you are dealing your sessions in terms of minutes and seconds, you could set the time ruler accordingly by removing the check-mark next to “Use musical grid” option in the General Settings, as Logic defaults to display its timeline as bars and beats. Or (alternately) display it as a secondary ruler (default US key-command: Control-Option-Command-R).

To sum up, you need to learn (or familiarized yourself with):

• How to adjust you different keyboards to follow Logic sync signal. That kind of information is normally found in their respective user manuals. (It is often referred to as MIDI Time Code or MTC).
  • To adjust Logic sync preference to transmit same to your gears, as I mentioned in my previous post.
  • The Klopfgeist plugin and the metronome and likely also with the latter's settings.
  • How to record / edit MIDI events in Logic, if you plan on creating your own MIDI click tracks.
  • How to use the Event List editor to add the META #52 events.
  • About global tracks to create markers and to create tempo changes.
  • About assigning controllers to issue the go to next song and the start playback buttons.

By the way, I hope that you are aware that my posts contain many url links, which when clicked on, opens on the documentation I am referring to... Those url links are the underlined text...