After save project file size comes too large

Frans Lemaire

It depends on your use case. Are you using assets in the project that you want to be available wherever you use the project? Or will you always be using the project on your computer which you know will always have (for example - your created patches) on it? Do you want the project to be completely self contained?

i just have due to the answers here a confusion about the save assets : should i click all

Very simple:

If your projects stay on your computer you don't need to check all assets, just the audio files you record. That's it.

Otherwise you're making unnecessary copies of what you already have installed.

i just have due to the answers here a confusion about the save assets : should i click all

Very simple:

If your projects stay on your computer you don't need to check all assets, just the audio files you record. That's it.

Otherwise you're making unnecessary copies of what you already have installed.

For project's perpetuity sake, I would however reconsider that...

Yes. As mentioned, that's just things coming to my mind which might be related or not. Still it would be interesting to know what exactly in the project file causes the inflation.

Yes indeed. I could reconstruct one project. Not the 2nd ... I try make to import from the bad project into a new project again .

I learned a lot.

Thx for all tips I found in this forum.

After 5 years of being here, I had no need to communicate a lot. I never thought the save of a project could be so drastically cause problems.

I hope I have no further issues with Logic Pro X.

Thanks a lot to everyone who made me wiser

Dear People that helped me with this issue.

I have some more information and testing results about this issue :

I studied better LogicPro X and detected that I easily can copy/paste (Import) tracks from a " corrupt problem project " to a new project. For the 2projects whit the Project File Size problems, I could already recover one.

For the second, I used the import track per track in a new project .

I detected that the PROBLEM of very large Project Size is created by 2 tracks in the Project : From the moment I imported the track, the new project increased drastically in size and the project turning apple icon was continuously showing that LPX was busy with " something " . I will not blame Logic Pro or Arturia, but those 2 tracks were each time Software synts with Arturia V collection Instruments. The V collection was updated recently and I work for more then 2 years with them and had never problems before. But now, after the update my Logic reacted strange. Or it is due to the Save issues here in this communication ticket, or it has todo with the Arturia VST behavior since their last update.

In the New project, I "recomposed " the 2 tracks with the Arturia VST and everything works fine. Of course I now use the modified Asset settings (limited).

This information might be of interest. I will report this to ARTURIA too

Are you running the latest Logic Pro X (v.10.5.1)?

If so, that latest version has caused issues to various 3rd party plugins. Those need to address same...

Hi ,

thx for your communication and help.

I am running an iMac that is only 3years old on High Sierra. I don't want to change of OS for now and so, I can't install Logic 10.5. as it isn't supported by High Sierra. I can goe to maximum 10.4.8, what I have now.

I have on the Facebook group of Arturia detected that other people had same problems like me since the Arturia V7 collection update. The LPX files that became too large were projects where I used Arturia V7 VST .

I just found an easy way to solve :

Create a new empty project and import track per track from the old problem version. From the moment you detect that the save goes high, shows you the track that cause the problems. As long as the project runs, you can then BOUNCE in the bad project the track . I had 2 tracks with Arturia VST instruments that caused a high memory increase. So I bounced then and deleted the original tracks .... and all works Fine. The 1,2 GB file reduced to 14 MB. and all works fine again.

I learned in the mean time that , when you can when using VST's it is recommended by bouncing the tracks from the moment you are happy with the content. Mixing can still be Done. But it saves memory and speed for the iMac to focus on the Mix. It think it is an interesting tip

I wish you the best in your LPX experiences.

• 2 months later...

I have this problem too. After suffering slowdown in Logic and very long Save times, I discovered that my ProjectData file was 12.5GB in size!!!!

On investigation, here's what I found…

The Arturia instruments' preset/patch data is becoming corrupted by Logic. I have found this with the Piano V2, Synclavier and ARP2600 instruments, but it may affect others. If you Save your instrument's edited preset/patch in the User bank and then open the file in a text editor you will see that a particular parameter ('Tags') is being repeated over and over:

22 serialization::archive 10 0 7 0 7 30 Synclavier Bass 4 User 15 2 MJ 3 Pad 0 0 6 0 7 Ambient 4 Dark 8 Ensemble 4 Long 4 Soft 10 Soundtrack 0 0 63 Very soft pad with some brassy quality. Mod wheel adds vibrato. 1601655645 10 2.6.1.3854 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 16 OriginalPackName 7 Factory 18 OriginalPresetName 12 Naked Planet 4 Tags 1572863 Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|Atmospheric|

etc. etc. etc.

This file was over 400MB instead of 625k!

The size increases exponentially with each Save of your Logic Project. Obviously, the more Arturia instruments you use, the worse the problem.

I don't have a real solution but here's a rather tedious (and possibly only temporary) workaround:

**** FIRST BACKUP YOUR PROJECT! ****

Next, identify the problematic instruments by opening the ProjectData file found inside the project's 'Alternatives' folder. I only have one alternative folder ('000') so I don't know which one you should use if you have multiple alternatives. Sorry.

Depending on the file size, it may take a while to open in your text editor.

Scroll down until you see repetitions of a short sequence of characters, like this…

"$,09BDMNW\ilyÜèòö£§≠≤¡≈ Õœ—”‡ÈÚÙ˝˛&(12;@RUgnsuwy{ÄÇÑÜàäúß≠πªΩœ“›¶flOCuA$1ˇˇˇˇÃ∞C5∞ Inst 4)ı˜œ@ˇˇô‚‹UCuA$1,05 UCuA$1,05!UCuA$1,05"`9¥UCuA$1 y5ARP 2600 V3utrAumua3PRA◊ġty46ia<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Controller State

MjIgc2VyaWFsaXphdGlvbjo6YXJjaGl2ZSAxMCAwIDcgMCA3IDE1IFNlYSBTZXggYW5k

IFN1biA3IEZhY3RvcnkgNSAxMiBDZWxtYXIgRW5nZWwgMyBTRlggMCAwIDIgMCA3IEFt

YmllbnQgNSBOb2lzZSAxIDAgMCAgMTUzMTczMTc1NiAxMCAzLjYuMS4zODU0IDAgMCAw

IDAgMCAwIDAgMCAgMCAwIDEgMCAwIDAgNCBUYWdzIDEwMDY2MzI5NSBTb3VuZHNjYXBl

c3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xT

b3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3Vu

ZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNj

YXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBlc3xTb3VuZHNjYXBl

etc. etc. etc.

Note the name of the instrument from the preceding text ('ARP 2600 V3utrAumua3PRA' above). This can be a little bit cryptic!

Ignore repetitions of 'ÚIq ÚIq ÚIq ÚIq ÚIq ÚIq ÚIq' and similar – these are Apple's Pedalboard plugin.

Once you have identified the problem instruments you can fix their corruption:

1. Save your edited Arturia instrument preset and locate the file on your hard drive (on a Mac – Library/Arturia/Presets/[instrument name]/User/User/… )

2. Quit Logic WITHOUT saving your project and open the saved preset file in a text editor.

3. In the same way, open the Factory preset on which your edit is based (Library/Arturia/Presets/[instrument name]/Factory/Factory/… ). This will be listed at the top of the data after 'OriginalPresetName' ('Naked Planet' in the corrupt example above).

4. Make a note of the number after the following 'Tags' parameter. In the example above this number is 1572863. I think it represents the data size of the tag(?). For this Instrument/Preset it should actually be 11, as you will see from the Factory file for 'Naked Planet'…

22 serialization::archive 10 0 7 0 7 12 Naked Planet 7 Factory 15 10 Indie Moon 3 Pad 0 0 6 0 7 Ambient 4 Dark 8 Ensemble 4 Long 4 Soft 10 Soundtrack 1 0 63 Very soft pad with some brassy quality. Mod wheel adds vibrato. 1546617361 10 2.0.2.1920 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 4 Tags 11 Atmospheric

[Note that there is only ONE instance of the tags parameter ('Atmospheric')]

5. Delete the multiple repetitions of the corrupt parameter and alter the number to match the Factory file. Save. Close both the preset files.

6. Reopen your project in Logic. Go to your Arturia instrument and load your saved preset from the User Bank.

7. Save your project.

8. Repeat for all your other problematic instruments.

Boring, I know, but it can rescue out-of-control file sizes. Unfortunately, I haven't established whether or not the fix is permanent, so keep an eye on your ProjectData file size!

Hope this helps. I will be reporting my findings to both Arturia and Apple.

Interesting. I solved my problem by

Never saving anymore as a package but ad a project , regular cleaning the project , watch the saved file size evolution . I could recreate my projects by identifying the corrupt Arturia Tracks in the song. I bounced the corrupt ones in a new track and deleted the original arturia tracks .

I had no issues anymore since this in new compositions, because I watch better the size of the file and the save settings and management : cleaning, delete non used samples, only save as a project , etc ...

Well, I heard back from Léo at Arturia who told me this…

'To update the preset index you need to delete a specific temp file called "db.db3".

MAC: /Library/Arturia/Presets

WIN: C:\ProgramData\Arturia\Presets

If you have not enabled the display of hidden folders please go to your file explorer -> display -> check "show hidden folders"

Alternatively, you should be also able to directly copy/paste the path indicated above in your Windows File browser address bar.

Once this file is deleted, the preset list will be updated on software opening.

This is in fact due to a bug we've already addressed which caused the temp file for the project to grow on each save.

Do make sure to update all instruments to the latest version and re-save the sessions that seemed to have this issue.

You should then see the projects size decrease.'

So, now we know! My db3 file was over 800MB instead of 5.6MB! I thought my instruments were up to date. Maybe not. I'll go and check!