files converted to unreadable 8-bit

doofus

working on something today, after closing the project and reopening a short time later, a vocal file came up as unreadable, there was a warning dialog box saying it was an 8-bit file. No waveform appeared in Logic and no sound, obviously. I was working in 24 bit/44.1...I would've been screwed but...

fortunately, I was working with a duplicate file (something made me make a duplicate when I started work on this, who knows why..._) so all was not lost. But it made me nervous.

I found some stuff in threads about this regarding FAT-formatted drives, but this project was in my Dropbox folder on my main hard drive. I've worked this way many times without a problem. Anyone know what the hell is going on here?

Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core, 32 GB RAM, El Capitan, Logic 10.3.3

been working off Dropbox for ages (collaborations, ya know..) with no issues. But, there's always a first time..and yeah, I inquired somewhere else about the Hoffman application, seems it usually works great. Good to know..

it was a collaboration with some other people...obviously, if I was working solo I wouldn't have any reason to put a project in Dropbox. In collaborative work, I've done this from time to time, and it's always worked flawlessly. This one really took me by surprise..now I'm reluctant to attempt it again. I did have a look at the Hoffman file repair program but...I'm not nearly adept enough with Terminal commands and that sort of thing to even want to go anywhere near that. Edited by doofus

it was a collaboration with some other people...obviously, if I was working solo I wouldn't have any reason to put a project in Dropbox. In collaborative work, I've done this from time to time, and it's always worked flawlessly. This one really took me by surprise..now I'm reluctant to attempt it again. I did have a look at the Hoffman file repair program but...I'm not nearly adept enough with Terminal commands and that sort of thing to even want to go anywhere near that thing.

so... store the file on your physical hard drive. copy it to dropbox when you need to... always have a copy not in dropbox.