How can you switch fast between interface and laptop speaker audio?

Rosie

Hello,

Is there a fast efficient way to switch between my interface audio (which is connected to my speakers and headphones) to my macbook pro laptop speakers? without having to go and change settings in the audio preferences and have to initialise core audio taking up a lot of time?

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work or enable me to switch back and forth to the macbook speakers. I do own one of those big knob audio monitor controllers but don't have it plugged in right now. Would that do anything to help the situation?

Thanks for your reply. I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work or enable me to switch back and forth to the macbook speakers. I do own one of those big knob audio monitor controllers but don't have it plugged in right now. Would that do anything to help the situation?
I can't tell, not knowing the device you are referring to.

If you are talking about the Mackie Big Knob controller, that seems to be another type of external soundcard integrated into a controller. Therefore, I don't see how it could control your laptop speakers. But again, I don't know since I am not familiar with that device.

i keep the audio preferences icon in the menubar; have logic audio output set to 'system setting'... then switch interfaces from the menubar (i have 2 interfaces, and the internal speakers). simple.

but there is no way around coreaudio having to change to the interface you choose (unless atlas007's aggregate device idea can do that).

I have the audio preferences in the icon menu and switched it to system settings... but when I switch over from speakers to interface on the audio menu bar it then has to go through the load up and initialises core audio. Isn't able to do it without loading all sounds again.

I have the audio preferences in the icon menu and switched it to system settings... but when I switch over from speakers to interface on the audio menu bar it then has to go through the load up and initialises core audio. Isn't able to do it without loading all sounds again.

logic is on 'system setting' for it's audio output? (just wanted to be sure that's what you meant).

it takes about 6 seconds to switch here (i did not actually measure it); is it taking much longer for you? what version of logic are you running, what OS... on what mac? (you should really add a signature to your profile, so that info is always visible when you're asking for help, etc)

Yes it's on system settings for audio output. Just tried it again.. but it's having to initialise core audio when ever I switch over even when on 'system setting'. I have a macbook pro 2019, macOS mojave 10.14.6 and I'm running 10.4.6 logic pro version.

Ah ok, I'll go add one on my profile now. Thanks

Yes it's on system settings for audio output. Just tried it again.. but it's having to initialise core audio when ever I switch over even when on 'system setting'. I have a macbook pro 2019, macOS mojave 10.14.6 and I'm running 10.4.6 logic pro version.

Ah ok, I'll go add one on my profile now. Thanks

there's no way around it, coreaudio has to switch to the currently-selected interface. but is it taking long? and (just curious) how often do you go back & forth, and what's the urgency?

I know someone has done it to my computer before and was able to change easily between.. but I can't remember how. It's only so I don't have to bounce the whole track each time I wan't to listen to how it sounds on laptop speakers... Is there another plug in that is able to do it?

I know someone has done it to my computer before and was able to change easily between.. but I can't remember how. It's only so I don't have to bounce the whole track each time I wan't to listen to how it sounds on laptop speakers... Is there another plug in that is able to do it?

Why bounce it again? Just listen to it (ie play it) through the laptop speakers after you’ve switch to them.

Yes, I know I can easily switch but there was a way I've seen that doesn't need to wait to initialise core audio and wait for all the plug ins and sounds to load. I've seen someone switch between the two and nothing has to be loaded again.

Yes, I know I can easily switch but there was a way I've seen that doesn't need to wait to initialise core audio and wait for all the plug ins and sounds to load. I've seen someone switch between the two and nothing has to be loaded again.

when i switch, only coreaudio reloads; how long does it take before you can playback again? and, seriously; you could bounce out a high-quality wav file, quit logic... and go back & forth in the finder (thru the menu bar) without anything having to load. seems a reasonable workaround...