Transport Jumps to Beginning Of Song Intermittently 10.5.1

ChrisFlowersAudio

I just Upgraded to Logic 10.5.1 and as I'm recording or Playing back a loop, the transport will Jump to the beginning of the song or to the beginning of the 8 / 16 bar loop I'm working on out of nowhere. Ive unplugged everything Midi and it still jumps . I thought it might be my Trackball, but it still does it with the wireless mac mouse. I also have a powered USB dock for my dongles. ?? How can I fix this?

@atlas I de selected everything then the sound just cut out intermittently so still a problem there. I like the play from cycle option, its been a part of my workflow for a while so I want to keep it.

@triplets I am NOT using a template. Im using the standard start from scratch option.

I am using a Universal Apollo Duo with a thunderbolt 3 card. I just upgraded UAD Console software and Hardware firmware hoping that would fix it but it did Not.

When its in cycle mode it randomly goes to the beginning of the loop before it finishes the loop and when cycle mode is off the sound drops out for 20-30 milliseconds.

I just quickly tried that project - I don't have all the plugins in the project - but I experienced no problems in playback, no glitches, no jumping transport or anything...

If other people verify this, then it's likely the problem is with your system, not the project as such (again, so look at MIDI devices, input devices etc as a possible source. It's not uncommon for something like a forgotten paired bluetooth keyboard constantly sending dodgy key presses to your system, or a MIDI device doing something similar...)

could you guys put it on a loop from bar 9 through bar 25 and let it cycle for a while? this is when Im getting problems on cycles / loops when Im tracking over and over. The loop will jump back to the beginning of the song or sometimes the loop.. Ive disconnected anything midi or blue tooth and it still keeps jumping. Im also using 10.5.1 version of logic.

The loop will jump back to the beginning of the song or sometimes the loop..

I've been using Logic since 1993, and I've never once had Logic jump back to the beginning of the loop or adjust the playhead on it's own while playing in the manner you describe, including on your project.

I'm pretty confident it's not the project, it's something happening at your end you'll need to troubleshoot.

Does it happen only with this project, or other projects too? Does it happen if you disconnect your audio interface and just use inbuilt audio? Does it happen if you don't use third-party plugins etc etc.

Something going on with your project and the cycle function.

Setting a cycle range.

Pressing C to turn cycle off.

Pressing C to turn it back on it puts the cycle on bar 71 every single time.

My guess is some sort of corruption.

Export the midi regions and then import into a new project.

Something going on with your project and the cycle function.

Setting a cycle range.

Pressing C to turn cycle off.

Pressing C to turn it back on it puts the cycle on bar 71 every single time.

Hmm... I don't see that here, cycle behaves normally and the above procedure doesn't result in any untoward behaviour.

But, if the project is corrupted, this can likely manifest in different ways, so who knows?

As triplets says, if there is weird behaviour in this one project, try to rebuild a new version and if that behaves better...

I still think the most viable course of action is to investigate anything that might be sending MIDI, key commands, sync or input events to Logic.

You can try creating a new user account, and have a stripped down system where you disconnect *everything*, and you just run Logic, no MIDI gear, no audio interface, no UAD stuff etc in that clean user account, and see whether those projects exhibit the same symptoms. If not, then start to reintroduce things until the bad behaviour comes back, and that will hopefully point you to a cause.

I still think the most viable course of action is to investigate anything that might be sending MIDI, key commands, sync or input events to Logic.

You can try creating a new user account, and have a stripped down system where you disconnect *everything*, and you just run Logic, no MIDI gear, no audio interface, no UAD stuff etc in that clean user account, and see whether those projects exhibit the same symptoms. If not, then start to reintroduce things until the bad behaviour comes back, and that will hopefully point you to a cause.

So I took your advice and disconnected EVERYTHING and ran cycles / loops for 30 minutes per piece of gear . It Turns out it seems to be my external seagate external hard drives that were connected were causing it. Does this make any sense?

I've not heard of such a thing, but who knows what's going on? - if drives are randomly going away, resetting, delivering corrupt audio data, resetting the USB bus or not reacting fast enough, it's difficult to predict how a real-time system will react to those things.

At least you've found the cause, and can workaround it accordingly.