Delayed Vocal - Help Needed!!!

EastNashRocker

Urgent issue here.. I've got a mix due to a client tomorrow and I did something to the vocal tracks that I can't seem to undo. I slapped on several instances of the soothe 2 plugin on instruments at the end of a mix, side chained them to the vocal to help it cut through and now all the vocals are delayed by a fraction of a second.

My cpu is very low since I bounce everything in place, a session with 40 tracks and there are maybe 10 plugins total (on the instruments, not the instrument busses) after I added 5 instances of soothe. The busses still have several plugins but my CPU threads are all at the bottom except for the far right cpu thread (I believe this is for real time processing) which is at 50%.

It doesn't matter if I take the soothe plugins off.. put them back on, change the routing, turn off all the plugins on the mix bud, turn the side chain feature off.. the vocal delay is still there! I'm totally miffed. I'm nervous to manually time align because I know that I'm potentially just making the problem worse by treating the symptom and not the source of the issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I already made a copy of the session and turned off all plugins (not removing them) and the issue persisted. I'm just saying that an obvious vocal delay started after I inserted a plugin and removing that plugin instance did not fix the problem it created. I'll go back and remove all plugin instances and if that fixes it perhaps the lesson learned will be that if this ever happens again I just need to start over from scratch ;)

A similar but perhaps unrelated issue was happening on my vocal bus.. I have several plugins on it as part of my template, over the course of this song I only used two but when I removed the plugins that I never turned on this caused the vocal to be out of time. By clicking undo a few times I was able to get those plugins back and the vocal was back in time with the song as long as those plugins were both present and not turned on. I don't have this issue early in a mix.. at some point things get too complicated for logic, either that I find a way to break something and the system isn't capable of letting the user know that there's a issue.

I removed every plugin in the session (not just turning them off) and the vocals are still delayed.. the strangest part is that they might actually be even more delayed now, which makes no sense to me.

oeksound wasn't too helpful.. just forwarded me a link to the picture attached. If sidechain doesn't work for their product in Logic it'd be nice if they didn't include a broken feature, which would have kept me out of trouble. I thought that if the individual instrument tracks with Soothe 2 had no other plugins on them and the side chain was coming from individual vocal tracks (no bus involved in this routing) with no other plugins on them that i'd escape the sidechain latency compensation issue but that was foolish thinking on my part apparently.

David, I can start a new thread for this if it would be appropriate but I'd love to learn more about your mixing workflow approach/setup in Logic.. I've really enjoyed what I've picked up here and there from your postings. For each song I'm considering doing preliminary edits for the drums in their own Logic session, etc. but there's a whole approach there that is new to me. Are there posts that I haven't found that detail your approach?

237632808_ScreenShot2020-07-24at12_35_26PM.thumb.png.96d4b49e693794cf9efc15fa169255df.png

If sidechain doesn't work for their product in Logic it'd be nice if they didn't include a broken feature, which would have kept me out of trouble.

I don't believe the plug-in manufacturers can pick and choose which software will show or not show the external side chain input for their plug-in. It's Apple's responsibility to fix this sidechain latency compensation bug.

David, I can start a new thread for this if it would be appropriate but I'd love to learn more about your mixing workflow approach/setup in Logic.. I've really enjoyed what I've picked up here and there from your postings. For each song I'm considering doing preliminary edits for the drums in their own Logic session, etc. but there's a whole approach there that is new to me. Are there posts that I haven't found that detail your approach?

Yes please definitely start a new topic for this new question. I'll try my best to answer it, it's an interesting topic. Thanks!

I'm going to start a new thread about workflow but in case anyone else gets here with the same problem I never really figured out the timing issue.. at least not in a reliable way. I manually nudged all the vocal tracks back into time knowing that the original issue was still unfixed and has the potential to keep misaligning vocals as the project goes through the revision process with the client. I'll post back here if I find out more. In the meantime I'm looking into studio one and cubase for future sidechain processing needs until Logic can fix this.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon your thread because I got exactly the same issue with Soothe 2 and Logic Pro X. Even if it's 2 years later and I'm writing this in 2022 with all latest versions of iLok, Logic and Mac OS (Pretty speced-out iMac Pro + Apollo Twin X so hardware is not the problem here).

Did you guys find out anything that could help to resolve the issue? I really need Soothe for my projects but the slight delay on the vocal tracks is messing up everything.

Also: I don't use any sidechain in combination with soothe.

All I got is a vocal track with Autotune+EQ which is going to a Vox Bus for all the final mixing.

I bounced out the track with the plugin on: slight delay

bounced the same part with plugin off: no delay (seems that I don't have to remove it completely, just turning it off solves it)

Any help would be great!

• 1 month later...

Also got weird things happening whenever soothe2 is involved! It seems to be okay on individual tracks, but whenever I place it on a bus, it seems to affect the delay compensation of the entire project. For example, if I record something when soothe2 is placed on a bus, it's offset in the arrangement view.

The soothe2 instance can be on ANY bus in the project file—in the picture below it wasn't even on the audio track which I recorded onto. Yet it still "ruins" the delay compensation of the entire song. Weird things also happen when you place it alongside time-based effects like LFO Tool. Other than that, it doesn't seem to cause problems to things that are already aligned. Although it makes me worried it affects how send effects are delay compensated. I'm yet to try that!

BQz1ao1.png

Do you use a side chain to an insert anywhere in the project? (Even on an unrelated track)

Since version 10.6.2 that can throw off the delay compensation of unrelated tracks, and a high latency plugin like soothe2 would definitely make that noticeable...

Might not be your issue but worth checking.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this for 2023. I'm having this same issue with Soothe and its driving me crazy. I'm trying to use is on the vocal bus or even on individual vocal tracks (no sidechain) and it delays the audio noticeably. I've tried resetting, rescanning and even uninstalling...no luck. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 10.19.41 AM.png

2 minutes ago, JakobP said:

I guess you're recording using direct monitoring ? Try disabling software monitoring in Logics audio settings. Hth...

This is in the mixing stage. It adds a noticeable latency to any track I add it on as you can see from the bounced in place track that had soothe2 applied to it