Double iPads = 2 Virtual Instruments?

Dox

When you use Logic Remote as a controller for a software instrument the iPad doesn't make the sound, it just sends control information to Logic. Logic makes the sound, so you record the tracks in Logic.

I have certainly connected multiple iPads to Logic and run Logic Remote on both, but I haven't actually controlled multiple software instruments from the different iPads.

Thanks facej and David. I have just tried to do this. The two iPads always switch to the same instrument. So as you thought it is not possible. Wouldn’t it be great if it were though, and you could record an band or orchestra of iPads!

You could set this up with some of the iPad MIDI controllers, like TouchOSC or Lemur and I'm sure there are a dozen more. So, you _could_ have one iPad being the 'main' controller in the Logic iOS app and the other just running TouchOSC sending out whatever MDI you want based on how you configure the controllers.

That's what I'd do if I had 2 suitable iPads.

Hi cinningbao, I have no idea what you mean. I’ve never heard of TouchOSC or Lemur. Are they software controllers for MIDI? If one iPad is controlling LPX how would the other sending TouchOSC be received? And how would it allow playing of the Logic Remote virtual instruments?

Hi Dox, no problem, I'll explain.

Software controllers (like TouchOSC or Lemur) are applications you can run on your iPads to turn them into MIDI or OSC (Open Sound Control - kind of like MIDI, but different, and you can do much more with it) controllers. Logic doesn't really know, or care, that the controller is software or hardware, it's just listening for messages from these devices.

https://hexler.net/products/touchosc TouchOSC can be setup to send notes when you hit soft buttons or CC data for sliders. From looking at the product page it has moved on a lot since I first got it in 2009! I've used it on stage and in the studio and would highly recommend it if you want to create your own bespoke interface to a sound. To use it you download the Editor software from the website and purchase the app on your iPad, then create your thing in the Editor and transfer it to the iPad.

https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/ Lemur used to be a bit of hardware with a multi-touch screen waaaay before tablets and things were available to the general public. It was (is?) very expensive. Thankfully they released the iPad version (can't see the price on the website but £20 or so?) so all the very advanced functionality it offers (many more visual objects than TouchOSC and 'physics' built in to the knobs and sliders, so things can 'bounce' or 'fly' around your interface objects from which you can send CC or Note messages.

These tools in conjunction with the cmd-L 'Controller Assignments' window will allow you to set up 2 iPads to control different parameters in your project.

hope some of that helps!