Input Monitoring

Scorwitz

I have a question about Input Monitoring.

When I arm an audio track with my mic on to record and the “I” is not highlighted, I hear the mic input no problem, set my levels on the audio interface and record. The resulting recording shows the same levels in the mixer that I would expect from having set my gain ahead of time.

When I try this again on a new track, I highlight the “I” and everything is the same. Levels look good, no change in what I could hear without it enabled, but the resulting recording shows EXTREMELY low, practically non-existent levels, but the actual audio is fine.

Why on Earth would the resulting recording with input monitoring enabled show levels so completely different than what they appeared to be prior?

The only solution I’ve found is to copy/paste the audio to a new track and then the audio and levels match in the mixer again. Maybe I should just never enable input monitoring, but I see so many people using it that I thought it was beneficial for some reason.

JakobP,

Thanks, I didn’t realize. So, if my track level is set to zero, should those be the same? I’ll have to put together screenshots after work this evening...

For your input and monitoring levels to be the same, you would need to have no plug-ins affecting the gain in the Audio FX area of the channel strip and the volume fader set to zero.

“ For your input and monitoring levels to be the same, you would need to have no plug-ins affecting the gain in the Audio FX area of the channel strip and the volume fader set to zero.”

I though considering the topic and your previous reply “they” would clearly refer to levels. Perhaps I should try elsewhere.

“ For your input and monitoring levels to be the same, you would need to have no plug-ins affecting the gain in the Audio FX area of the channel strip and the volume fader set to zero.”

I though considering the topic and your previous reply “they” would clearly refer to levels. Perhaps I should try elsewhere.

Well, see, I thought that maybe "they" referred to plug-ins.

One thing I've learned from my publisher when writing my book: to avoid potential confusion, avoid using pronouns.

Well, now I'm not sure what my question is. In the process of putting together a doc with screenshots, I figured out how to address this issue. I'm sure for some it isn't an issue at all, but likely the way they expect things to work.

When I open a new project with audio tracks, the levels are set to -24db, but seems unusual to me, as I would think everything should default to 0db. That said, I've realized that I can set my Record enabled level to 0db and then when I click "I" it goes back to -24db, and I can set it to 0db again. Then I'm at least able to predict what I'll get when recording with or without Input Monitoring enabled.

I guess my question now is, why would anyone want two different levels? Why do I have to set the db to 0 each time, unless saving my setting into a template?

I guess the larger question is what is the benefit of Input Monitoring when tracking vocals? From what I've read, it can add latency. I guess it's to make sure the vocal is being heard as processed along with whatever instrumentation is already in the track. Does that sound right?

When I open a new project with audio tracks, the levels are set to -24db, but seems unusual to me, as I would think everything should default to 0db. That said, I've realized that I can set my Record enabled level to 0db and then when I click "I" it goes back to -24db, and I can set it to 0db again. Then I'm at least able to predict what I'll get when recording with or without Input Monitoring enabled.

This normally happens when you're using both the built-in speakers and built-in mic in order to avoid feedback. The solution is to use headphones when recording.