Recent Logic update now allow it to accept an external-MIDI clock?

studio460

I am trying to send MIDI from an external device to Logic, a Roland MX-1; i.e., I would like to set the master-tempo from the MX-1 (not from within Logic). Prior to the new version of Logic, this was not possible. Again, I would like Logic to slave to an external MIDI-source. Can it be done now? Thanks.

I am trying to send MIDI from an external device to Logic, a Roland MX-1; i.e., I would like to set the master-tempo from the MX-1 (not from within Logic). Prior to the new version of Logic, this was not possible. Again, I would like Logic to slave to an external MIDI-source. Can it be done now? Thanks.

Unfortunately, no. Not a lot of DAWs today that let you slave them from an external source, if we’re talking Midi clock. Logic can slave from Midi Time Code but usually those external units don’t send it, only Midi Clock.

Blink

MIDI clock just doesn't offer enough resolution, and varies in actual timing due to MIDI transmission bandwidth and jitter to accurately sync audio samples from it.

If your external device only supports MIDI clock, and cannot output MTC, then you'll need to make Logic the master.

Hey, thank you both for your replies! Oh well, that answers that. However, although my analog gear all aggregates via one of two Behringer RX1602 line-mixers, every device with an S/PDIF-output (e.g., digital synths and a pair of MX-1s) goes into one of two Roland M-1000 digital S/PDIF line-mixers (specs here: https://www.roland.com/us/products/m-1000/). The final S/PDIF aggregate-output goes into my NI Komplete 6 Mk II's S/PDIF input (my primary USB 2.0 interface).

The M-1000 has a word-clock output. Is there a device which can convert word-clock to MTC that I can feed to Logic? Since I record 99% live into Logic, my imperfect playing exceeds any issues with jitter (i.e., not a critical concern). Or, is there another device which can take standard-MIDI (from the Roland MX-1 or my MIDI Solutions' T8 thru-box), and convert it to an MTC signal?