Channel strip plugin recommendations?

JamesK

Why do you need a Chanel strip plugin? Logicpro has a pretty decent channel strip and built in fx to cover it all. The reason for buying a third party channel strip is typically to get some kind of particular sound associated with classic gear, in which case the cpu hit is what it is

Not sure I agree with this. Folks buy 3rd party plugins for various reasons, not only for the 'classic gear' sound. The voxengo stuff most certainly isn't classic gear! It is, though, compact, functional, able to recall presets for multiple processing techniques simultaneously. If speed is part of your workflow, have a channel strip can help enormously in this regard.

It _aaalllll_ depends on how you work. So just because it doesn't sit well with you, or feel like a workflow enhancement, doesn't mean it isn't for somebody else.

edit - spells

Edited by cinningbao

Why do you need a Chanel strip plugin? Logicpro has a pretty decent channel strip and built in fx to cover it all. The reason for buying a third party channel strip is typically to get some kind of particular sound associated with classic gear, in which case the cpu hit is what it is

Not sure I agree with this. Folks by 3rd party plugins for various reasons, not only for the 'classic gear' sound. The voxengo stuff most certainly isn't classic gear! It is, though, compact, functional, able to recall presets for multiple processing techniques simultaneously. If speed is part of your workflow, have a channel strip can help enormously in this regard.

It _aaalllll_ depends on how you work. So just because it doesn't sit well with you, or feel like a workflow enhancement, doesn't mean it isn't for somebody else.

Exactly!

I've enjoyed the colour the Scheps Omni Channel provides but what I really enjoy is the convenience of opening a single comprehensive plug-in with all of the necessary elements to apply.

Looking for a more CPU friendly channel strip plug-in.

Workflow!

make a channel strip with eq, compression, reverb sends.... whatever you want. save it. then you can recall the whole thing by opening it from the setting window in any channel strip. easy.

okr make your own template. setup a channel with whatever you want. duplicate that channel (as many times as you need), so you have a 'basic' number of tracks, ready to go. save as template, open when you need it.

just some alternatives to a pre-designed channel strip.

make a channel strip with eq, compression, reverb sends.... whatever you want. save it. then you can recall the whole thing by opening it from the setting window in any channel strip. easy.

okr make your own template. setup a channel with whatever you want. duplicate that channel (as many times as you need), so you have a 'basic' number of tracks, ready to go. save as template, open when you need it.

just some alternatives to a pre-designed channel strip.

A great option.

Did that for many years.

Not sure I agree with this. Folks buy 3rd party plugins for various reasons, not only for the 'classic gear' sound. The voxengo stuff most certainly isn't classic gear! It is, though, compact, functional, able to recall presets for multiple processing techniques simultaneously. If speed is part of your workflow, have a channel strip can help enormously in this regard.

edit - spells

I asked specifically WHY a channel strip plugin is needed for a reason so that we could potentially reccomend one. I was not intending to criticize the question.

So without further information about specifically what is desired I can't really pinpoint to one specific third party channel strip, but here are few that people seem to like for various reasons. I don't know that any of them will be less CPU hit. The Scheps Channel in particular is typically used in order to easily impart a certain kind of sound. That's the reason people use classic compressor and EQ models. But mixing consoles have circuits in them that bring a certain sound and that's why people usually use them. Some of the newer Waves plugins tend to use a lot of CPU when the plugin window is open, which ironically is what you're wanting to do, have one plugin window open for all the channel settings in one place..but when you close the plugin windows, the overall project should not be using too much CPU.

In terms of general capability..the one that impresses me the most is iZotope Neutron.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/neutron.html

It actually does bring a lot of power and capability that is not present in any DAW's built in mixer strips. It is, however, NOT lite on CPU. It also does not "look" like a classic channel strip, which may or may not be part of the experience you are after.

I happen to like the Waves SSL 4000:

https://www.waves.com/bundles/ssl-4000-collection

That one just has great sound, but a lot of people now consider it to be old, outdated and tired sounding compared to newer offerings. For one thing it comes with a large collection of excellent presets from some famous engineers, and I don't know; I throw that channel strip onto a lot of stuff, it just sounds good to me.

Eventide has their UltraChannel, which sometimes goes on sale for cheap. I have it, never use it. But it has everything in one channel strip....for that kind of work flow.

https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/utility/pitch-delay/ultrachannel

IK Multimedia has their TR5 product

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/tr5/

which I consider to be excellent, but strangely I hardly ever use it as much as I should. Its not really a convenient channel strip plugin, its more like a collection of channel strip EQ's and compressors that can be combined through its own unified interface. I don't think it would improve your workflow anymore than just using built in LogicPro channel strip FX, but it comes with a nice collection of classic sounding EQ's and Compressors, etc..

Plugin Alliance has a few things like that, I haven't tried any of them though, so I can't comment on how they sound.. such as this: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_console_n.html

Steven Slate has a lot of stuff he is bringing together into what could be construed as a third party channel strip, but I don't think it would bring the convenience factor you are wanting, but would rather be considered extremely high quality sound. I haven't used it. He has a subscription model so you can try it:

https://slatedigital.com/virtual-mix-rack/

I think you really need to identify exactly what you are wanting in a channel strip and why you you want it...before spending money.

I like this one:

https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/cs3301.html

(There is a bigger version too, but I prefer the smaller one...)

How do find this regarding CPU hit?

I read that the 5501 seems to be not so CPU friendly.

Edit: I just tried their Demo and it does sound great. Also using the same components/settings it seems to take half the CPU than the Omni Channel ( which is a great plug in ) but I have an older Mac which needs more CPU friendly plug-ins :)