Logic Pro and PoTools HDAcell with tdm?

chappy

Hi,

I've used PT since 1.0. I'm vey comfortable but have recently needed to fill in the MIDI gap with Logic Pro.

My setup is the above mentioned apps running on a dual 2,5 G5 w/6 gig of ram.

Pro Tools seems to work fine (better with the Apogees) but I can't get the hang of

Logic TDM. Any pointers besides 'read the manuel"?

I have the same setup wit an MBox and another one with 002.

The LE versions present less problems. Any ideas?

thank you , me fellow droogies,

chap

Hey!

Thanks for the quick intervention.

I have 3 systems (I'm a pig).

Both my MBox system and 002 LE work fine with Logic Pro and Pro Tools Le.

They also work fine with re wire and Reason, Live etc.....

My problem is that I recently moved from PTHD3 on a G4 to PTHD3Acell on a G5.

Pro Tools TDM is finally working (after uninstaling LE versions).

I can't seem to get Logic Pro to work with HD TDM.

My guess (and this is usually the case) is that I'm doing something dumb and obvious.

It's the 10% of the time that something is truely broken that throws us.

I've only been OSX for about 1 1/2 years so I'm relatively new to the guts of it.

So, any TDM with Logic tips to get it working.

I'm running OSX10.3.8, Pro Tools 6.9 on a dual 2.5 G5 w/6gig of ram.

Seems like it should work. This whole transfer put me out of work (I'm a full timer) for 2 weeks.

Thanks!

chap

Chappy,

Have you properly configured and used Logic/TDM before? Or is this your first attempt?

Logic/HD does work, though some users experience little instabilities from time to time.

A properly configured Logic/HD setup will allow you the best of both worlds: DAE and Native/ESB running side by side. You can run all the native logic instruments on the native side and stream up to 8 channels of audio from the native/ESB mixer into the the Digi HD mixer. Very cool and quite unique among DAWs.

All this does take a bit of configuration work in Logic and the environment to get it all running.

The Logic Setup Assistant can help you with an TDM/HD autoload, which can help get you started. But it's better to really customize it manually, so you can get it setup just how you like.

There is help in the manuals, but ultimately it might be worth it for you to hire someone in your area to actually configure your Environment for HD/ESB. You would of course be a part of the process, and learn a lot about the environment, which would be very beneficial in the long run.

Just my two cents.

I have not set it up (from the Logic vantage) and I will give it a try tomorrow.

I've been shuffleing back and forth between home and studio to finish a Dateline and a PBS documentary.

I see tremendous potential in Logic (It's the 1st MIDI/audio program since Studio Vision to interest me). I try to stay in the TDM environment when making records and have had Pro Tools since 1.0. My assumtion that I could just dive into Logic was a little presumtious on my part.

I'll try the set up assistant and customize as i go along.

I'm not sure i understand how Logic attaches itself to TDM and DAE and the manual

is vague.

Thanks, a ton, for your input. Just what I need - more to think about.

cheers,

chap

I have not set it up (from the Logic vantage) and I will give it a try tomorrow.

I've been shuffleing back and forth between home and studio to finish a Dateline and a PBS documentary.

I see tremendous potential in Logic (It's the 1st MIDI/audio program since Studio Vision to interest me). I try to stay in the TDM environment when making records and have had Pro Tools since 1.0. My assumtion that I could just dive into Logic was a little presumtious on my part.

I'll try the set up assistant and customize as i go along.

I'm not sure i understand how Logic attaches itself to TDM and DAE and the manual

is vague.

Thanks, a ton, for your input. Just what I need - more to think about.

cheers,

chap

A few tips...

In the audio hardware prefs, make sure that CoreAudio is disabled, and DAE and Direct TDM are enabled. Each is a separate tab in the audio driver prefs.

That tells Logic to use the HD hardware. The HD hardware I/O configuration is based on the DAE settings, so the I/O setup is identical in Pro Tools and Logic when Logic is running under DAE.

Then you'll have to be sure that all evnironment objects are properly assigned to the correct audio engine, whether it be DTDM for native, or DAE for HD.

Hey Mac,

Thanks! Everyone of those tips is useful. That qualifies you as both 'tech' and 'support', a very difficult combo to find.

So Logic will run on the DAE engine and not Core Audio.

I won't keep bugging you but as I understand it, PT and Logic cannot be run

simultaneously?

Thanks very much, I'll try it first thing in the morning on a new spot.

cheers,

chap

Hey Mac,

Thanks! Everyone of those tips is useful. That qualifies you as both 'tech' and 'support', a very difficult combo to find.

So Logic will run on the DAE engine and not Coreaudio.

simultaneously?

cheers,

chap

Actually, you can run DAE and Coreaudio. Both audio engines will run at the same time. But you'll need separate audio hardware for CoreAudio. You can actually run all 3 (Coreaudio, DAE, DTDM), but it's not recommended.

I know some users who go with DAE/DTDM, and other users who go with DAE/Coreaudio. The main difference between the DTDM and the Coreaudio engines is that DTDM is one direction - it can only output audio into the DAE mixer. While Coreaudio allows for input and output, so you can also record into the native side if necessary. You need separate audio hardware for Coreaudio.

When using DAE/Coreaudio, it's best to have CoreAudio hardware that supports ADAT optical I/O, so that you can route audio between native Logic and DAE via lightpipe. Also, using coreaudio with the appropriate I/O will allow you to setup effects send and returns so that you can use any native Logic effect plugin (like Space Designer) on HD tracks. Though depending on the native buffer, some latency may be introduced.

When using DAE/Coreaudio, be sure to setup wordclock sync correctly for all hardware.

Hey Mac,

So Logic will run on the DAE engine and not Core Audio.

simultaneously?

cheers,

chap

Part 2...

Actually, I see what you're asking. Yes, you can run Pro Tools HD and Logic at the same time. Logic will need to run natively. They can be syncronized via the IAC buss in AudioMIDI setup.

Then you can use separate Coreaudio hardware with Logic to send audio into the Pro Tools audio hardware, which can then show up in ProTools audio or aux tracks. It's probably best done with ADAT I/O for multi-channel operation.

No problem, guys.

David, just found out you live like two blocks from me. I'm on Barham and the 101. So if we ever get around to having our big barbecue, we'll be sure to invite you over.

There are a couple of discrepancies on that walkthru, like when I mentioned that HTDM synths run off the ProTools cards (they don't), and a few things could be worded a bit differently for clarity's sake, but if you're interested in keeping that thing on your site as a tutorial (considering there's no other place on the planet --Logic manual included-- that explains this stuff), I can rewrite it for ya'. Apple won't let me fix anything, as they've locked that particular thread.

Take Care,

E-

No problem, guys.

David, just found out you live like two blocks from me. I'm on Barham and the 101. So if we ever get around to having our big barbecue, we'll be sure to invite you over.

What a great step-by-step Audacity!! This will definitely save me time when I get PTHD hardware myself.

BTW, can I get an invite to the BBQ. I live right in between both of you guys.;-)