Drum Kit Open HiHat issue

Danny Wyatt

I never use the Drummer feature, but today I started a song by loading the Drummer. I didn't really use any of the features and just converted the MIDI region to a normal MIDI region so it replaced the Drummer region with a normal editable region. Now I'm struggling with something: the Open HiHat notes that were already there by default, sound like a strong closed HiHat, not an open HiHat, but when I try to add a note, it actually sounds like an Open HiHat. I check the velocity, it's the same on both. There's no extra info that shows me that the notes differ.

Can anyone explain this? I actually would like to sometimes use those stronger closed HiHat strokes, but I can't seem to understand how to achieve that...

I'm including the project and 2 mp3 files with both sounds:

HiHat.zip

The Drummer uses articulation id's, you'll have to enable the view for it in event list.

Thanks. Yes, after I posted, I was trying to find other answers and found this one:

viewtopic.php?p=524574#p524574

So now I understand that it's controlled by the articulations, but I have a few questions:

Based on that reply, I would be able to control them with my ModWheel, but I can't.

Also, I'm having a hard time understanding how to set new articulations and make it work. I tried with the Drum Kit, the EXS24, sometimes I get one result, sometimes another. Is there any article or video that you would suggest to learn more about this?

Not sure what's not working for you, and I know far too little about how the EXS24/Sampler works with AIDs to be able to help :/ One thing though; if hihat notes do have an AID "attached", the AID will override the cc1 (modwheel). To be able to use the modwheel, you have to "blank out" the AID on the note events.

Not sure what's not working for you, and I know far too little about how the EXS24/Sampler works with AIDs to be able to help :/ One thing though; if hihat notes do have an AID "attached", the AID will override the cc1 (modwheel). To be able to use the modwheel, you have to "blank out" the AID on the note events.

Never mind. It works once I convert it from DKD to EXS24. Interesting enough is that there's no way to load the kits directly inside the EXS24...

I have to explore it a little bit more. I already like the DKD, but knowing that I can automate the articulation on individual notes and some other parameters that can be tweaked, it's a great tool. And since I'm a drummer myself, I can get a pretty natural sounding drum sound using those parameters :) Thanks for your help!