Have I made my own sound?

WIZARDZ
Go to solution Solved by WIZARDZ,

I am wondering if by using the advanced settings and changing the elements of the window in alchemy to produce a unique sounding synth is that then my own loop if I record the key strokes on the keyboard and then can I do what i want with it, example if I record it can I redistribute that or share it with friends or is it still considered a preset sound? As it is definately nothing like the original sound it was it sounds totally transformed into a completely different sounding synth.

Like this

440536061_Screenshot2020-09-19at23_48_03.thumb.png.9860307ebe363efa8cb5e95da4aff309.png

If you change the parameters, it is no longer a preset, and it is all yours.

Yes I believe this to be the case, I have changed all the parameters to some degree, It's fun actually not everything sounds great changed this way. But sometimes you get a mod that's really cool it is a bit pain staking though but well worth the effort when you get a good out come.

I believe it's no longer a preset but I suppose I will need to get apple's legal team to respond to a question about this topic.

But I do remember them saying as another member mentions further down the list of replies in the post area, that you cannot use a single preset patch and call it your own in fact they told me that the logic team them selves.

The thing is it doesn't answer fully wether changing as we say the parameters meams it is not comsidered default any more which I doubt it is and I suspect there will be little to no complaint but I think iis best to call them at logic support or ask legal at apple.

Thank you though.

Unless it's based on samples that someone else owns, in which case you can generally use them in your music, but modifications you make using those source audio recordings are still derivative works based on someone elses' audio content and you are not free to do what you like with them.

Yeah I heard default patches are not allowed on their own but I never asked them about modding and morphing the patch out of original context is that still default?

I think the best is ask legal at apple or logic pro x team obviously I wouldn't even so much as rry sharing or anything like that unless permitted first.

But it appears some people think it is osone people think it isn't it's going to be a question for aplle to be clearer than a bit of paper states is the rule if they want tp be transparent completely it will need to be layman's for my self.

I'm not a lawyer, but to keep it simple. It's allowed to use any sound or loop of the built-in libraries in commercial music/movie projects. However, it's not allowed to make money out of individual sounds.

Logic Pro X and MainStage 3: Using the included royalty-free content in commercial works

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202939

Yeah I get this impression it'so longer the same but will have to ask Apple to be layman's and transparent in a none lawyer based average Joe explination of this.

But I honestly don't know and it's mixed responses about this.

I will have to get hold of the. directly and ask. But thank you for taking the time to reply.

I believe it's no longer a preset but I suppose I will need to get apple's legal team to respond to a question about this topic.

You will not. Anything you make using Logic's instruments is yours to use in your music. Just don't try to create and sell a sample library using Apple's samples, that's it.

I think you're rather overthinking things. Synthesisers have knobs to let you change the sound. Suggesting you somehow are breaking the "rules" by doing this is somewhat missing the point, imo...

The relevant portion of the Logic Pro Software License Agreement says on p. 2 under B. Sample Content:

The Apple Software may contain sample content including but not limited to artwork, audio files, audio loops, built-in sound files, graphics, images, impulse responses, photographs, samples, sound sets, sound settings, video files, or similar assets (“Sample Content”). This Sample Content is proprietary to Apple and/or its licensors, and is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright. Except as otherwise provided, all Sample Content included in the Apple Software may be used on a royalty-free basis to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Sample Content, however, individual Sample Content assets may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, clipart, music beds, sound effects, sound files, sound libraries, stock animation, or similar assets.

What you're proposing doing -- creating your own patch on Alchemy then sampling the sounds of keypresses and distributing them as samples -- does not seem to run afoul of what this section says. But broader provisions of copyright law MIGHT apply.

One idea in copyright law is that an infringing action causes harm to the copyright owner in diminishing the market for the original product. It seems laughably unlikely that you could produce samples such as what you're discussing in any quantity that could affect the market for Logic Pro X. And you could probably argue that Alchemy is not unique in its ability to produce the sound you've created.

I do think you would be on MUCH thinner ice if you were to, for example, add some filtering to an Apple Loop then redistribute that.

I also think you would be ill-advised to use the words Alchemy or Logic in describing your sample set. Although in a world where all sorts of folks are selling unmodified TR-808 samples, maybe the unspoken rules are more permissive than the letter of the law.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution
There's no need to change any parameters from a preset in order to produce your own music, your own samples, or your own loop. You could perfectly choose a Patch from the Library in Logic Pro X, play a few notes and distribute (and sell) the result as your own loop without owing any royalties to Apple or anyone.

Thank you so yeah these videos where they play notes from an existing sound is what I need to delve into thankyou.

The relevant portion of the Logic Pro Software License Agreement says on p. 2 under B. Sample Content:

The Apple Software may contain sample content including but not limited to artwork, audio files, audio loops, built-in sound files, graphics, images, impulse responses, photographs, samples, sound sets, sound settings, video files, or similar assets (“Sample Content”). This Sample Content is proprietary to Apple and/or its licensors, and is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws, including but not limited to copyright. Except as otherwise provided, all Sample Content included in the Apple Software may be used on a royalty-free basis to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Sample Content, however, individual Sample Content assets may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, clipart, music beds, sound effects, sound files, sound libraries, stock animation, or similar assets.

What you're proposing doing -- creating your own patch on Alchemy then sampling the sounds of keypresses and distributing them as samples -- does not seem to run afoul of what this section says. But broader provisions of copyright law MIGHT apply.

One idea in copyright law is that an infringing action causes harm to the copyright owner in diminishing the market for the original product. It seems laughably unlikely that you could produce samples such as what you're discussing in any quantity that could affect the market for Logic Pro X. And you could probably argue that Alchemy is not unique in its ability to produce the sound you've created.

I do think you would be on MUCH thinner ice if you were to, for example, add some filtering to an Apple Loop then redistribute that.

I also think you would be ill-advised to use the words Alchemy or Logic in describing your sample set. Although in a world where all sorts of folks are selling unmodified TR-808 samples, maybe the unspoken rules are more permissive than the letter of the law.

Thank you this is extremely helpful mate.

You don't really need videos for that, just press record and start playing on your keyboard. Or insert notes manually on the grid in the Piano Roll with your Pencil tool. You can always quantize if you need the notes to snap to a grid. Then as you start doing more advanced performances you can ask your questions on this forum!

You don't really need videos for that, just press record and start playing on your keyboard. Or insert notes manually on the grid in the Piano Roll with your Pencil tool. You can always quantize if you need the notes to snap to a grid. Then as you start doing more advanced performances you can ask your questions on this forum!

Thank you so much really helps, I have a seperate issue wondered if your familiar with big Sur and old logicx and band files not opening from an old backup getting corrupted message no ok button and no way to open them but I have stripped the folders out of a file copy to provide the data folders and conrtent for them just need to know how to create a current with the data pasted over it now