Midi control Third Party Plug ins

Headrc

I am having quite a time trying to get Logic Pro X to control parameters of third party plug-ins with a midi controller. Specifically I want to use a looper plug-in and I have tried two different plug-ins, Enso and MSuperlooper. I have also tried as, two different interfaces Presonus Firestudio Project and RME Fireface 400. I have delved into the whole midi environment to drill down and try to see what is going on and have not been able to resolve this. I tried using the plug-ins on an aux channel which is where I eventually want to use this but I also tried them on a regular channel strip. The only thing I can get happening is turning on and off the plug-in on a channel strip. But I get nothing when trying to control parameters of the plug-in. And I have read through a lot of Apple Support documentation about midi implementation ....but I know there is a lot more to learn there. If there is some trick to this that I have not been able to find yet, someone please educate me. Thanks, Richard

Will the software instrument channel then send midi messages straight into the plug-in? Both the Enso and the Superlooper have learn functions but using a regular audio track or an aux strip do not send midi messages straight into the Plug-in. In Logic's midi environment and using a monitor it looks like midi messages are transformed into fader message info when controlling stock Logic plug-ins and their learn function. But the third party plug-ins do not recognize these of course. I appreciate the help in figuring this out.

Yes, inserted as an instrument it will of course receive the midi just like any other instrument. I use sooperlooper myself using a midi footcontrol, and I cable it in the environment to the SL instrument channel strip. Doing it like this, I can have any track selected and still control SL.

Thanks JakobP ...it seems like you are doing exactly what I want to do. I want to control with an FCB1010. So do I have to actually setup a midi instrument for the FCB1010 in the midi environment and then cable it to the software instrument? I thought if you setup a software instrument channel it is already cabled to midi input. I have to admit ...Logic Pro definitely seems a challenge at times to get midi control happening.

:D In the enviroments default state, all incoming midi goes to the selected track. So, as long as you have the SL track selected, the midi from the pedal will reach SL, no need to go to environment. I did this cabling to be able to select other tracks and still control SL. In the environments click and ports layer, physical input object, hold option while you "grab" the cable from the pedal, and select your SL channel strip. HTH

No, you don't need to create anything, you simply connect the pedals midi port to the channel strip. In the "Physical Input" object in click & ports, all your connected midi ports should be visible. To the right of its name, option click+hold the "connector" to get a menu where you choose "Mixer" and then the channel strip for SL.

Hi again JakobP ...as a result of your input I did finally get this working. Thank you. However just setting Superlooper as a software instrument still did not get midi input into it. And in the midi and ports environment all I saw was a click, and input window and a keyboard with note input indications. What I did was use a physical input module for the digital i/o in the mixer environment and cable that to the software channel. Now it all works. One other question since you seem to be using this like I want to. With anything you are sending to Superlooper ...are you turning off that source channel's output and having its actual audio output come from Superlooper ...with Superlooper's output into the Stereo Out? For me it seems to be the only way to do this because I would be actually adding gain with the main instruments output mixed in with Superlooper's Output ...unless there is some setting that I am missing in Superlooper that does an input to output mute until the loop recording is stopped. Thanks again! Richard

First, I believe you are using another looper than I do, didn't realize there was a "Msuperlooper", I'm using "SooperLooper" (free) myself, but I think the principle is the same... I don't monitor the source through SL, I use a send on the source channel to the SL bus, and SL's input monitoring off. So source channel goes to stereo out.

Regarding the environment, to connect objects in different layers, you can use the option click method, or simply open two environment windows with different layers and connect a cable between the objects.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcpb1b1e237

It seems you already modified your environment since the "Physical Input" object exists in the click&ports layer by default ?

You should insert the plugin in the instrument slot of a software instrument track, then having the track selected while you send the midi.

Or you can use Controller Assignments instead, which map incoming MIDI to plugin parameters directly...

Des, you're right. I was confusing "MSuperLooper" with "SooperLooper", my mistake...

Thanks. I will have to take a look at Sooperlooper since MSuperlooper is an expensive plug-in. Yes I had aded physical input in in the Mixer Environment previously because of similar problems with controlling an external TC Helicon Voicelive module. Being new to the whole environments concept I never even looked at the Clicks and Ports window prior to doing this. Obviously I have more studying to do on all this. But I do find Apple's Support documentation limiting regarding it. It does not seem to be as extensive as some of their other manual tutorials. Again ...I really appreciate you reaching out and helping, that is very kind of you and hopefully I can pay it forward in the future. Richard

• 2 months later...

Software audio plugins from a third-party company (ie, any other company than Apple).

Plugins are software that can be used within a DAW to supplement the DAWs own features - you can get many audio effects, and software instruments and use them in Logic just like Logic's own effects and instruments.