Logic Pro x - Sierra to Mojave?

Music Spirit

I have been on OSX 10.12.6 SIerra for some time -( on a Macbook Pro Early 2015 3.1GHz Corei7 16GB memory).... perfectly stable with Logic 10.4.4 running well apart from the odd spate of Score Editor induced crashes ( with Logic's auto- save function working brilliantly as virtually no work lost when rebooting the project after crash).

I have been recently advised to update to Mojave. Being inherently conservative when it comes to upgrades I would appreciate some comments as to whether I actually need to .. advantages disadvantages for Logic Pro X users?

Thanks in advance

MS

*Need* is relative. You can stick where you are, however you might not be able to run more modern software, which is starting to have Mojave as a minimum requirement.

Upgrading will let you run Logic 10.5.x which has some significant improvements, and you can stay on the upgrade train for bugfixes etc.

However, you'll likely be fine with Mojave, so after a bit of research into the software you're using and whether anything important might be negatively affected, I'd recommend you back up your system drive, upgrade and try it out. You can always revert then by just restoring your backup over your system drive again.

*Need* is relative. You can stick where you are, however you might not be able to run more modern software, which is starting to have Mojave as a minimum requirement.

Upgrading will let you run Logic 10.5.x which has some significant improvements, and you can stay on the upgrade train for bugfixes etc.

However, you'll likely be fine with Mojave, so after a bit of research into the software you're using and whether anything important might be negatively affected, I'd recommend you back up your system drive, upgrade and try it out. You can always revert then by just restoring your backup over your system drive again.

THis is really helpful - thanks!

Yes - or you could use SuperDuper and make a Sandbox copy of your system drive and update that. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is - but it works really well. Basically it makes a copy of your system drive and you boot from that copy (on a separate drive or partition). Then update and run with it. If anything ever goes wrong, you just change the startup disk to you "old" system, and Bob's your uncle. Works great. I did this when moving from HS to Mojave just to be sure.

But as said, need is relative. I held out on High Sierra for a very long time. Only until Logic 10.5 no longer supported HS did I update. And at this point, still not sure it was worth it. Not a huge fan of Live Loops, so I could have stuck with 10.4.8