Building a Mixing Room

Moving into a new home, and have a little area I'm about to build out for a mixing area. This will be an exclusive mixing area, no recording going on, so I want to optimize the sound. A bit of a carpenter myself I'm tackling this task myself but am looking for acoustic advice. The space is 8'x10' with 10' ceilings and is open on one long side. I can build to close off that side but not to the ceiling. I'm looking mostly for angling advice. I've read about deflectors and absorbers and stuff but as yet haven't really found advice on what I definitely need to build. Thoughts?

According to multiple sources I've studied, none of your room dimentions should be divisible by themself, or identicle. You may find trouble with the acoustics if you don't wind up placing a drop ceiling at 7' or 9' though at 9' your room is now pretty much a box that would make for bad acoustics also.

as far as applying sound treatment, use the mirror technique... have a friend walk around the room while you sit in the mix position. Any where you see your monitors is where you should place an obsorber, on the rear wall is good to place a mix of obsorbers and deflectors. And as you know, corner fills go in to corners and Bass traps work well near the ceiling.

Auralex has some nice, budget friendly packages you might want to take a look at.

I'll post more if I get a free moment... gotta run to work.

As far as room dimensions go, use a room mode calculator to determine room modes, and thus potential problem frequencies.

There are a few readily available online. Here's one:

Room Mode Calculator

There are others a Google away.

The mirror trick is a good one, but with the right angling, most reflections should pass behind the sweet spot.

Bass trapping works best where three walls meet in the corner and next best where two walls meet.

2 excellent forums to check out are John L. Sayer's and the Acoustics Forum.