Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Prem Nath

Would the 2020 MacBook Air which has on it an Intel i3 10th Gen be a substantial upgrade from the 2017 MacBook Air. The 2020 Air that I am referring to has 8 Gb ram and a 256 Gb SSD hard disk. It costs 10% more than the 2017 after factoring in the external hard disk for the 2017. Please note the MacBook Air 2017 is an i5 but a 7th Gen i5, and has a clock speed of 1.8, vs the 2020 Air which has a clock speed of 1.1. Hope I’m using the terms correctly and sorry if I am boring the crap out of you guys. I’m not usually this price conscious but these are trying times. Thanks!

Short answer/question - what *is* your budget for the machine?

Buying an Intel MacBook Air is (in my opinion) a very bad idea. Very bad.

Logic is optimized for M1. Any version of the M1 MacBook Air will outperform any Intel laptop that is even close to your budget.

Your concerns seem to point at things not being available until the future, but your needs are immediate?

What do you actually have to run (software, hardware) today? I can't think of anything that an Intel MBA could run better than an M1 MBA today.

Hey facej,

I'm going to push back on your reasoning here on David's behalf. :) If David is able to strongly run LPX on his *2013* machine and the M1s are WAAAAAY the most powerful Mac available now... why would Prem need to go straight to M1 right now? I totally get not wanting to take a step "backward" with processor tech — and yes, Intel processors are on the 'dying edge' right now, no argument there — but Prem's not trying to be a pro music producer, he's just trying to make music. He just does not need M1 power, and he likely won't need that for several more *years* before LPX can't competently run on Intel anymore.

I was able to run LPX on my 2013 machines just fine. My 2014 MacBook Pro had a battery go bad. Time for a new machine.

New machines available - Intel i3 low-end MBA. Apple M1 low-end MBA. Intel i3 at $700-800. M1 at $999-1100.

I don't see where there is a choice if you are planning for the future. I mean, if you have to make an MP3 right now today, and you only have $700, OK. If you need a machine to last you for the next few years? Get the machine that is many times faster today...the Intel box will never improve.

It all depends on how fast you need a machine. Buy an Intel laptop, low-end, to run Logic today? Not ever.

Hi faceg, I think it’s going to be a few years before M1 becomes the defacto. I would like wait and watch to see how they perform over long periods of time. Also, like Whitfield said the current machines can do the job quite well for what I am seeking and what my skills etc are. They have been doing it till now so why not. I am also not sure exactly what is entailed under optimisation but the way I see it, it’s just about horsepower. And then there is David’s machine.

On another note, wouldn’t the logical conclusion to your argument be the MacBook Pro and not the MacBook Air. That then leads to a different kind of spiral which leads to all kinds of bigger questions. Like... should I rebuild the walls of my house? And then one gives up of course. I am currently an amateur home producer. I hope to graduate over time but there’s enough that can be done with the available budget. Don’t you think.

The M1 is the performance leader in the home market - performance wise - no doubt. It isn't going to be a few years. Their performance over the years is always going to be better than the 2020 variants of Intel processors. As far as doing the task you want to do now - OK - get a low-end Intel i3, save the few hundred dollars and upgrade in the future.

I just replaced my 2014 MacBook Pro (quad i7, 16GB/512GB SSD) with a 2020 MacBook Air 16GB/1TB SSD. I paid $300 more than I paid for my MacBook Pro used ($1450).

Performance? No contest on any level. The new machine outguns the old by every performance measure.

Did I mention that my MBA has no fans? No noise? zero? none? Intel MBA spins the fans - I know - my spouse has one - running the browser will make the fans spin up.

The new MacBook Pro has, uhhh, a Touch Bar, fans, and...no redeeming social qualities.

If you need something TODAY you need to choose between a super-fast M1 or an older Intel that makes noise and is slow.

If you can wait for 9-12 months, then you can look and evaluate, but if you have no tools now I would not buy a psychically crippled i3 Intel.

NB I have successfully run Logic projects on 2011 MacBook Airs, 2016 MacBooks, and various other "underpowered" machines. Any of them will do something useful, just depends on your requirements.

I bought my first MacBook after "demoing" Logic from a USB stick on a USB-C port in 2016. I have used a 2011 MacBook Air as a "tape recorder" for 16 track live audio. It works. I wouldn't recommend spending *ANY* money to get one.

If you plan to buy a new i3 think about a used i7...you will probably be happier

Unless you can get it half cheaper, i see absolutely no reason to buy intel over M1.

i've been comparing M1/16gb Pro to my i7/32GB mini over the past few days, and there's simply not contest. M1 over rosetta is better than the mini, plain and simple.

M1/8gb mini would run circles around i3/16gb and then some

The M1 is close to double my initial budget. Maybe I need to start some kind of Help The Poor Budding Yet Old Producer Fund :) Any takers? But seriously good people, it’s going to come down to the i3 2020 or i5 2017 for me. I’ve got other money worries. So which of the two? Please keep in mind I don’t need touch screen or retina.

The cheapest alternative in a macbook is the new M1 Air. The CPU is the same, one less GPU core, but no fan. From what you describe, it would handle what you want to do with ease. I have one of the new Minis. Basic model, 8 gb RAM. It almost makes the computer in my signature seem sluggish, in fact scratch the 'almost.' The MB Air is under $1000 afaik.

When you say one of the new minis you mean the M1?

On another note, what have you folks’ experiences been with hardware and software compatibilities on the M1 machines.

Am asking mostly out of academic curiosity.

Just checked out Things 3 they are saying they’re good.

Logic I presume is fine.

What about the MS suite.

Focusrite?

Gimp?

I am using the M1. I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. One problem is my MPC’s software doesn’t completely work with BIg Sur yet. Another monitor I bought was unable to work with it. I’m guessing there’s a number of devices that require updates to coordinate with the new architecture. Here’s a video that might help you understand the chip better.

{broken link removed}