Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Prem Nath

Much appreciate your very helpful detailed answer, thanks David!

1/ Am a crazy not to just upgrade to Big Sur + latest Logic? ( I suffer from a combination of 'if-it aint-broke-dont-fixit - itis' combined with the classic 'fear-of-upgrade' syndrome?

There really is nothing wrong with staying on whatever stable combination of Logic and MacOS versions. To alleviate the fear of upgrading, I'd recommend you upgrade only when you feel confident you have ample time in front of you to test things out and experiment and troubleshoot before jumping in to the next full blown time-sensitive production project. Or that you at least keep an older Mac or an older drive on your Mac the way it is currently stable while experimenting with the new version on a new driver or a new Mac.

Having said that, Big Sur and 10.6.1 are very stable here, but I don't have too much dependency on 3rd party plug-ins so if that's an issue for you, make sure you research it thoroughly before upgrading.

2/ With a Macbook Air - I presume you run Logic projects from a drive? Would be curious to learn the components of your setup which i am sure is a model best practise

Everything runs from the small internal SSD, then I have an external HDD for backup. I do have plans to upgrade my Mac fairly soon as this one is getting a little tight for me though to be fully honest. It's perfectly fine, can handle running fairly advanced Logic projects with many tracks and plug-ins etc. But I really do need a larger internal drive, I would appreciate having a larger screen, a bit more RAM etc. It's more about comfort than necessity, but still, considering the time I spend behind my Mac, it's a luxury that I will welcome with open arms.

Hi David just out of curiosity and in case the others are interested... do you have a bag of tricks that helps you get more juice out of the older machines such as the MacBook Air 2013. Perhaps bouncing tracks in place, reducing the computer’s eye candy, controlling spotlight, etc. Also, maybe, not running too many apps at the same time. These are the common ones I have read on the net, and I’m sure there are more. But I’m keen on your knowledge on the matter, if you’re inclined to share.