Using Apple Loops and copyright

Neil Gilmartin

In David Nahmani's 10.4 and 10.5 books, it says the following in chapter 1:

"The Apple Loops included with Logic Pro X (and earlier versions of Logic or GarageBand) are royalty free, so you can use them in professional projects without worrying about licensing rights".

This sounds great at first, but not needing to worry about royalties is not quite the same thing as not needing to worry about copyright, no? So I'm just wondering whether anyone knows what the situation is if you were to create a piece of music entirely from edited Apple Loops, who would the copyright belong to? Would you be allowed to put it online as your own? On a related note, what would the situation be if everything were written by you except the drums that were taken from Drummer? These are, strictly speaking, Apple Loops too, right?

Thanks to anyone who has insight into this :-)

Many hit records have prominently featured Logic/Garageband loop content.

You really want to make a track featuring *nothing* but Apple Loops?

The content is there for you to use in your music, and your Apple license lets you use the content in this way, royalty free. As long as you are making music, it's fine.

Where it isn't fine is if you resampled Logic's content and made a commercial sample library from it - you don't *own* the copyright of the recordings in Logic's content, you own a license to use that content in your music.

As long as you are using Logic's content to make your music, there are no problems, and you own the copyright of the recording of the music, even through you don't own the copyright of the individual samples used in the creation of that music (which is no different to using, say Omnisphere in your music - you don't own the samples, but you do own the copyright of the music you made with those patches which used those samples as part of their makeup.)

The tl;dr is that you can use the content in your music, without worrying about it.

I love the apple loops,Can I capture the AUDIO sound of the audio loop only. Not what's being played.I would love to capture this sounds being used in those audio loops.I thought u could drop it into the sampler not sure.I know it does what I want when using A MIDI loop.I can spread it across the keyboard with an Midi loop.

I've no idea what you are asking for. All Apple Loops are audio loops. Green/ instrument Apple Loops *also* contain MIDI and instrument data, so you can use the MIDI parts as well, but if you drop a MIDI loop on an audio track, you'll just get the audio content.

You can do anything with audio in Logic you want.

I love the apple loops,Can I capture the AUDIO sound of the audio loop only. Not what's being played.I would love to capture this sounds being used in those audio loops.I thought u could drop it into the sampler not sure.I know it does what I want when using A MIDI loop.I can spread it across the keyboard with an Midi loop.

it's a single audio file, you can't access the components of an audio loop.

Not sure if I’m misunderstanding your question, Akai, but you can drop an audio file (including Apple Loops) into Quick Sampler and then resize the file within Quick Sampler if you only want to have a particular sound from the file. The sound will then be recreated on your keyboard as you play different keys.

• 2 years later...

I have a question that’s related. I just purchased logic Pro, and love the loops and samples, and would like to use some of them to complement my original recordings. In some cases I’ve developed my own arrangement, using drum loops and bass loops and piano loops, but then added my own guitar parts.

I heard from some music supervisors that loops from royalty free catalogue cannot be used in music sync projects

Is this true Logic Pro?