LuiquidCinema & GarageBand in Logic?

Ben Ged Low

Thank you David,

Loop Browser? i haven't used this yet in Logic ... I've been trying to avoid using loops for so long. Where would I find it?

Also. How can I audition these loops on a midi keyboard? ... some are specific sets, like drum sounds, or accents ... those are the ones I'm primarily interested in.

And would I need to install them in a specific Logic folder? Or move them from the standard Apple Loops folder?

Your help is much appreciated, thank you,

Ben

Audio > Loop Browser

Also. How can I audition these loops on a midi keyboard? ... some are specific sets, like drum sounds, or accents ... those are the ones I'm primarily interested in.

I see.. in that case, you might not want to use the Loop Browser, and use the EXS24 instead as you previously mentioned. That way you could control each sample with a key of your MIDI Controller.

If those are loops, you can simply use the acidized wav files and drag their folder onto the Loop Browser to index them, but they will behave like Apple Loops, no need to open the Loop Utility.

If those are single shots, then you shouldn't turn them into Apple Loops, but create EXS instruments for them. Their location on your hard drive doesn't matter, as long as you don't move them around once you've created the instrument.

DAVID: I see.. in that case, you might not want to use the Loop Browser, and use the EXS24 instead as you previously mentioned. That way you could control each sample with a key of your MIDI Controller.

BEN:

I'm a novice when it comes to using 3rd party samples. How would I go about creating a EXS instrument? I tried using the 'edit' mode in EXS, to create a new instrument ... the only thing I could find to connect the EXS to the actual QT.aiff samples was the 'Zone' to 'Load Multiple Samples'. But this didn't do anything logical .. the sounds that appeared were unrelated to what I loaded using the finder. I'm lost. In the middle of a rush job. Client wants to use these particular samples. Any place I can go to find a 1,2,3 tutorial on creating an EXS instrument that will play these samples chromatically on a keyboard??

Panicking (nominally), Ben

It's a whole set of samples I'm talking about...

I'm on an out-of-town job with my LOGIC PRO.

The client has a collection of LiquidCinema loops he wants me to use. (I know some of the LC loops can be played like single notes on a keyboard ... like a percussion setup ... because I used them once before at some other studio.)

The client can't find the manual or tutorial CD so I can't figure out how to interface my LOGIC PRO with his LC samples. And I don't know well-enough how Logic handles 3rd party samples. My SampleTank & Atmosphere & RMX were all relatively easy to set up (I have the manuals) ... but this one is stumping me. I can't even get my GarageBand to read either the LiquidCinema or the Jam Pack samples installed in the exact folder they are supposed to be in.

So that's what I'm trying to find out ... how to interface LOGIC PRO 6 with LiquidCinema samples\loops??? Which, I'm assuming, would be the same thing for the GarageBand samples\loops?

B.

Well no, GarageBand doesn't have a sample player, so it's totally different.

If you want to use the EXS24 in Logic, you open the EXS, click on EDIT, then go to Zone > Load multiple samples and choose the right option for what you're doing in the successive dialog.

You can then rearrange zones graphically (little squares/rectangles under the keyboard) in the EDIT window. Then when you close the EDIT window do a "Save As".

Pro Sessions are sample libraries distributed by M-Audio, they have repackaged their collections into a best of series that are in Apple Loop format.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=appleloops

I see you found the utility folder, also noticed that you are on Logic6, to get Apple Loop support and the Loop browser, and Gargae Band file compatability, you will have to upgrade to Logic 7.

Try dragging and dropping the sample folders into Garage Bands loopbrowser, then it should index the loops and display them in the browser. If nothing else you should be able to export individual GB tracks for use in Logic 6.

8)

Thank you gdoubleyou,

I used the EXS24, and pulled all the samples into groups so I can play them on a keyboard. Works great.

I will upgradde to 7 soon. Meanwhile the current job and delivery date preoccupy. I don't think I could handle one more 'learning curve' without creating a brain crash.

Ben