What is the point of the wet / dry balance control in a reverb effect?

Chrisk-K

I’ve recently moved to LPX from Roland / Korg workstation sequencers, so forgive my ignorance!

With the wet level set to full and the dry level set to zero in reverb (e.g., ChromaVerb), I can control the wet / dry balance by adjusting the bus send level. So, what is the point of having the wet / dry balance control in reverb? Under what circumstance(s) would you adjust the wet / dry balance from the reverb plug-in itself rather than from the bus send amount? Thanks in advance!

i'll put 'global' reverbs (ie a 'shared reverb space') on a bus, so, for example, all vocals can use a degree of that space (it's easy, with too many individual reverbs, to create a lot of mush).

occasionally... i want a very-singular reverb effect on a single track, and will then insert it in the channel strip. great for, for example, fading a sound WITH it's reverb, or stopping on a dime (ie i just automate a mute on a track). all without affecting the main reverb(s).

but there are, of course, infinite possibilities; so, you figure your needs, and choose whatever method to get to that.

I've read a few articles and watched Youtube videos about how to use reverbs in Logic Pro. All of them pretty much say, "Place reverb on a bus." So, obviously, some people use reverb as an insert effect depending on situations...

Yes. Such a typical situation is when the reverb is an effect for a specific track (for example backward effects, or all sorts of effects that can be used in convolution reverbs such as space designer (under "Warped Effects")), or for example a reverb that is an intrinsic part of the sound of an instrument but that will be used only for that instrument.

I typically use reverbs on a bus when I think that I may potentially use the same reverb for more than only one instrument. For example for my lead vocals I'll send to a bus and place the reverb on an Aux so that if I record a double vocal I can send it to the same Aux, or if I record backup vocals I can send them to the same Aux.

But it's art, everything is possible, we all use different workflows, there are no hard rules, and reverbs can be inserted anywhere you want them to achieve any sound that could pop up in your mind.

PS: Regarding your comment of the videos making a general claim: yes. It's only a rule of thumb.

PPS: I now realize Fisherking has already said everything I just said, quicker, and in fewer words. :oops:

I've read a few articles and watched Youtube videos about how to use reverbs in Logic Pro. All of them pretty much say, "Place reverb on a bus." So, obviously, some people use reverb as an insert effect depending on situations...

Yes. Such a typical situation is when the reverb is an effect for a specific track (for example backward effects, or all sorts of effects that can be used in convolution reverbs such as space designer (under "Warped Effects")), or for example a reverb that is an intrinsic part of the sound of an instrument but that will be used only for that instrument.

I typically use reverbs on a bus when I think that I may potentially use the same reverb for more than only one instrument. For example for my lead vocals I'll send to a bus and place the reverb on an Aux so that if I record a double vocal I can send it to the same Aux, or if I record backup vocals I can send them to the same Aux.

But it's art, everything is possible, we all use different workflows, there are no hard rules, and reverbs can be inserted anywhere you want them to achieve any sound that could pop up in your mind.

PS: Regarding your comment of the videos making a general claim: yes. It's only a rule of thumb.

PPS: I now realize Fisherking has already said everything I just said, quicker, and in fewer words. :oops:

haha sure, but you've said it more eloquently...