Routing and Output Channels question

Maestro777
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I have 3 output channels in my current configuration. I typically just use the Main outs (ch. 1 & 2) as my mix bus as the channel I bounce my mixes down on; but the other 2 channels I don't understand their application.

Just like my mix bus I can add chain bus FX, Group settings and also have the ability to bounce them as well. but there are no sends or outputs available on these tracks. When I first began using Logic I noted them but since I only required 1 mix channel to bounce my mixes I more or less just disregarded them but since I've become a bit more familiar and comfortable using the DAW I figured now would be a good time to find out what their purpose is and how I might extend the capabilities of my mixes with them.

Is there a way to add the output of these channels to blend into my main mix and bounce it down? If so, how would I do that since each of them have their own individual bounce option and if not, what's the purpose or use case for bouncing them at all?

One other question is that I do my mix down and main volume fades on my Master Chain bus so what's the purpose of the "Master" channel which has no option but to control the volume? Could it be I'm not properly using Logic for my mixdowns in the way it was intended???

260605625_ScreenShot2021-05-04at7_15_35AM.thumb.png.0494da93c0d08faee5d9a56f1769d66b.png

• Solution

Output channel strips allow you to process the audio signal going to physical audio outputs on your audio interface. So for example let's say you had connected Output 19-20 to the input of another audio device in your studio, you could process the audio signal going to that specific audio device.

You can't however route the signal processed on an Output channel strip inside Logic. It is hardwired to the corresponding physical audio outs on your interface.

Thanks for that David! I suppose 1 use case example for wanting to do that would be sending the signal out to some outboard process and then bringing it back into logic. But I thought that is what the I/O plugin was supposed to be used for.

In any case, I understand it now.

The I/O plugin is for sending stuff out and getting it back in on the same channel (over physical I/O of course).

There are lots of reasons why you might want to send audio to various outputs (and not care about it coming back) - maybe you have multiple outputs going into a summing mixer, or a surround setup, for example. Differnt purposes, but you will get output channe;s for each output your physical audio hardware has, so you can route audio to them, should you want/need to.

Different applications, really.

The routing in Logic Pro is very flexible so you can do pretty much anything you want. I'm not clear on what you're trying to do exactly but if you describe what you're trying to do then we can definitely help you figure out a way to route it in Logic's mixer. I'm not sure I understand how the i/o plug-in relates to your original question so maybe I missed something there.

Re: the master channel strip, it's a VCA that applies to all Output channel strips. Meaning it's like a remote control for the volume of all Output channel strips. No audio signal goes through that remote control so that's why you cannot add audio effect plug-ins: there's no audio to process. If you had let's say 3 outputs: Out 1-2 connected to a pair of large reference monitor speakers, Out 3-4 connected to a pair of small hi-fi type speakers, and Out 5-6 connected to headphones, then the Master fader allows you to adjust the volume on all 3 pairs at once.