M1 Compatible Audio Plugins

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm on an M1 Pro 32gb RAM running Logic Pro in Native mode but I'm experiencing a lot of crashing issues. I know Antares Auto-Tune EFX is causing a lot of my issues but even without it I'm experiencing Logic's error message about needing to recover a plugin or quit logic very frequently. I'm on Monterey 12.5 and Logic 10.7.3. My CPU seems to be constantly overloading on small sessions. I took a closer look at the CPU threads and one seems to be constantly overloaded (image attached). Any help would be greatly appreciated 

0102192.png

Edited by Ferrucci

That sounds like you're in Live mode, and are forcing a bunch of plugins to operate on one core. Try again, but deselect any software instrument tracks.

Also, check your third-party plugins for how well they work on Apple silicon, some don't do so good.

What plugin are you having problems with?

Also, what are your audio processing thread settings?

Edited by des99

Hi @des99 thank you for your prompt response. This session is solely running audio files. I'm having problems with Antares and Slate plugins but both of which have been approved for M1. I just seem to run into constant workflow issues when compared to my 2019 machine. My processing threads are running on 10. 

5 minutes ago, Ferrucci said:

Antares and Slate plugins but both of which have been approved for M1.

Slate Digital or Steven Slate Audio? 

Slate Digital is "approved". Steven Slate Audio is not. 

The initial post in this thread unfortunately mixes the two together and has not yet been corrected. 

I'm running slate digital. I get this error message whenever I try and save a project. I just presumed it was an error with M1 but it seems people are having much smoother experiences. I suppose the only way to really isolate is to test every plugin individually and recreate the issue? 

An Audio Unit plug-in reported a.png

23 minutes ago, Ferrucci said:

My processing threads are running on 10. 

You might want to select 8 and not use the efficiency cores.

Also, turn of any multiprocessing on plugins if you have those options, which tends to perform worse on M1.

But bottom line, on a completely new platform, you have to understand the behaviour of your software and this is going to vary across plugins and developers. Some are great, some are poor, and it takes a little effort to check and understand what's working well and what isn't...

• Like 1

Just now, des99 said:

You might want to select 8 and not use the efficiency cores.

Also, turn of any multiprocessing on plugins if you have those options, which tends to perform worse on M1.

But bottom line, on a completely new platform, you have to understand the behaviour of your software and this is going to vary across plugins and developers. Some are great, some are poor, and it takes a little effort to check and understand what's working well and what isn't...

Thanks for this. Is there a more effective method than simply activating a plugin and noting its effect on CPU readings and general programme performance? 

What do you mean by multiprocessing on plugins? 

3 minutes ago, Ferrucci said:

Thanks for this. Is there a more effective method than simply activating a plugin and noting its effect on CPU readings and general programme performance? 

Not really. It would have been useful when I first moved to Apple silicon though! ;)

3 minutes ago, Ferrucci said:

What do you mean by multiprocessing on plugins?

Multiprocessing/Multithreading/Multicore - it's called different things.

Some plugins do this by default, some are optional. When Korg released their Wavestate and opsix plugins, performance was terrible on M1 as they used multiprocessing in their engine. They had to rewrite it to not use this, which fixed the performance issue. And something like u-he's Repro 5, on Intel, performed best with multi-processing on, but on Apple silicon, it performs best with it off. Multicore doesn't seem to work great on Apple silicon currently (or at least, how it's traditionally been implemented).

For me, everything is great here now and everything I have performs well or good, even the remaining ones that still run under Rosetta, but it really depends on the third-party plugins you have, of course.

2 hours ago, Ferrucci said:

I'm running slate digital. I get this error message whenever I try and save a project. I just presumed it was an error with M1 but it seems people are having much smoother experiences. I suppose the only way to really isolate is to test every plugin individually and recreate the issue? 

An Audio Unit plug-in reported a.png

Sadly I've been running into a lot of problems and this error does come up a lot.   It really does appear to be a problem plugin and I wish this error would tell you what plugin was causing the issue.   From that point forward LP is garbled.   

From my experience, combining Native and Rosetta wrapped plugins, although convenient, is more trouble that it's worth.   I did find running at a higher buffer (256) resolves some issues.   In Cubase I can run 32 or 64 with no problems on this new machine in Native mode.   I noticed LP is fine down there too as long as you keep Rosetta plugins off.   That being said you might want to try just running in Rosetta mode till everything is updated. 

1 minute ago, Dragonwind said:

From my experience, combining Native and Rosetta wrapped plugins, although convenient, is more trouble that it's worth.

No problems here, and I do it a lot. It's not an implicit problem with combining Native and Rosetta plugins, it's how individual plugins perform that's the important factor.

That's why it's important for those having performance issues to do some troubleshooting and try to understand which plugins are causing problems, so you can understand it, mitigate it, and pressure the developers to improve/update the products.

1 minute ago, des99 said:

No problems here, and I do it a lot. It's not an implicit problem with combining Native and Rosetta plugins, it's how individual plugins perform that's the important factor.

That's why it's important for those having performance issues to do some troubleshooting and try to understand which plugins are causing problems, so you can understand it, mitigate it, and pressure the developers to improve/update the products.

Are those sample library plugins or audio plugins?   I use a lot of Spitfire ones and it does seem to be related to those even though they are native.    🤷‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, Ferrucci said:

Hey guys, I'm on an M1 Pro 32gb RAM running Logic Pro in Native mode but I'm experiencing a lot of crashing issues. I know Antares Auto-Tune EFX is causing a lot of my issues but even without it I'm experiencing Logic's error message about needing to recover a plugin or quit logic very frequently. I'm on Monterey 12.5 and Logic 10.7.3. My CPU seems to be constantly overloading on small sessions. I took a closer look at the CPU threads and one seems to be constantly overloaded (image attached). Any help would be greatly appreciated 

0102192.png

I'm getting these errors on  my Mac studio as well. I've even seen that same spike. For me it's ozone 8 and unfilter. hehe, this is what it means to jump fearlessly into the fire.

15 hours ago, jmob said:

I'm getting these errors on  my Mac studio as well. I've even seen that same spike. For me it's ozone 8 and unfilter. hehe, this is what it means to jump fearlessly into the fire.

Ozone 8 is not supported on either Monterey, nor Apple Silicon. Ozone 9 is! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, analogika said:

Ozone 8 is not supported on either Monterey, nor Apple Silicon. Ozone 9 is! 

Yes, There’s a lot of stuff that still isn’t but but they work for the most part... at least for me :) I’ll upgrade to ozone 9 at some point. Maybe wait until ten. For the projects I’m working on right now, 8 works fine over all. 

I just got a new M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey 12.5.  I've had good luck installing all of my software with the exception of Celemony Melodyne.  

Something to note- while Melodyne is M1 compatible for the stand-alone version, the Melodyne installer is not M1 compatible.  I just had an email exchange with Celemony support- I can't install Melodyne without first installing Rosetta just to run the Melodyne installer.  I asked if they would be releasing a version of their installer that wouldn't require Rosetta and they said no, they have a universal installer and they doubt they will change it. 

I guess Celemony is way behind on their silicon support.  I don't understand why they are being stubborn, Rosetta support won't last forever.  Can you make note of that on your list?  For users that already have Rosetta installed, it is compatible, but for users trying to avoid Rosetta, Melodyne is not going to work.

I wish there were more choices for vocal editing software!  For the time being, since Melodyne only works stand-alone anyway, I'll keep my old laptop around to run it.

In other better news- yesterday I spoke with someone using the macOS Ventura beta and they say Logic is much more stable on Ventura (but Melodyne ARA is still not working).

I agree.  It's disingenuous to call it a universal installer.  It's also misleading of Celemony to boast "Melodyne now supports both Intel chips and the new M1 processors on Apple computers allowing Melodyne to run natively on the latest Macs" when only the stand-alone version works at all and Rosetta must be installed.  I bought an upgrade based on their misinformation.  I only found out the truth by emailing support (who, in fairness, answered politely and promptly).  

But I'm not very happy with Celemony.  Antares is further along with their silicon support, I'll be changing to Autotune once Antares has it completely sorted.

27 minutes ago, ljefe said:

I agree.  It's disingenuous to call it a universal installer.  It's also misleading of Celemony to boast "Melodyne now supports both Intel chips and the new M1 processors on Apple computers allowing Melodyne to run natively on the latest Macs" when only the stand-alone version works at all and Rosetta must be installed.  I bought an upgrade based on their misinformation.  I only found out the truth by emailing support (who, in fairness, answered politely and promptly).  

But I'm not very happy with Celemony.  Antares is further along with their silicon support, I'll be changing to Autotune once Antares has it completely sorted.

so, for now, install rosetta, get to work. at some point apple will abandon rosetta, and by then, celemony should be fully-silicon (installer and all)...

Yeah, I could go that route but considering Melodyne isn't working fully anyway and this is a new expensive machine, I won't install Rosetta to use for one installer only.  I'll get Antares software, they've been working to update their product line, much is done already.  I'm not in a hurry.

What's the problem with installing Rosetta? It's just a tool, which if available will get used when it's needed. If you're running native apps, it's not being used, so it won't affect anything - it will just help give you a seamless operation (in this case, Melodyne would simply be installed without fuss.) The Melodyne plugins are universal binaries and so will run natively.

In the relatively early days of a transition, you often need these kinds of useful helper tools to get everything running nicely, so I don't really get wanting to avoid it and not install it, even when it's useful...

But the time Rosetta is not included in macOS and everything is expected to be native, you're looking at at least two years, possibly more (and of course, a lot longer for musician types would are more likely to continue to run some non-updated Intel-only plugins etc), and it's likely Celemony will have a native installer by then anyway...

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

It's not worth it to me to install software that will only help me to run one installer.  Like you say, Celemony will have to come up with a native installer eventually.  I'll use my old Macbook and Melodyne stand-alone until Antares release their pro suite for M1, which likely will be well before Celemony gets ARA working natively.  As of yesterday Antares had almost all their software working natively, I think.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ljefe said:

It's not worth it to me to install software that will only help me to run one installer.  Like you say, Celemony will have to come up with a native installer eventually.  I'll use my old Macbook and Melodyne stand-alone until Antares release their pro suite for M1, which likely will be well before Celemony gets ARA working natively.  As of yesterday Antares had almost all their software working natively, I think.

i don't get it. seems it would allow you to do what you want to do, and there's no loss; once melodyne is installed as a plugin, you can still run logic native. it's your choice, of course, but i'd rather have my workflow in the moment... which you can easily get to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fisherking said:

i don't get it. seems it would allow you to do what you want to do, and there's no loss; once melodyne is installed as a plugin, you can still run logic native. it's your choice, of course, but i'd rather have my workflow in the moment... which you can easily get to.

agreed. There's no downside to having it installed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ljefe said:

It is just software. Nothing more. Thinking of it as some pollution to your system makes no sense. It's a computer. It runs software. You don't have an issue running Java do you? That's no different. The JVM converts Java byte code to ARM instructions on an M1, and runs them. Python converts python code to ARM instructions and runs them. Rosetta2 takes x64 instructions, converts them to ARM, and runs them.

This ARM-binary-only purism makes no sense, unless, for some reason I cannot fathom, it makes you feel better. Rosetta2 takes up hardly any room, and uses no system resources when it's not being used. What is the issue, really?

To each his own, I guess.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2022 at 11:39 PM, ljefe said:

I agree.  It's disingenuous to call it a universal installer.  It's also misleading of Celemony to boast "Melodyne now supports both Intel chips and the new M1 processors on Apple computers allowing Melodyne to run natively on the latest Macs" when only the stand-alone version works at all and Rosetta must be installed.

This is an utter non-issue. 

Their plug-ins run natively, and the installer works on Apple Silicon. They really have better and more urgent things to do than fix stuff now that is going to keep working for at least three or four years and has absolutely no performance implications as it's only run once, for the benefit of that literal one guy who refuses to install some system software. 

The point of Rosetta existing is so people don't have to think about clean-slating anything, by giving developers years to schedule code changes and recompiles. 

• Like 1

What's the fuss? They don't want to run Rosetta on their machine. I totally get it. All non native software has gotten the boot off of my computer because I want to run everything in native code. Let them run their computer they way they want to, for gods sake.

Edited by pranaearth