M1 Compatible Audio Plugins

David Nahmani

5 hours ago, pranaearth said:

What's the fuss? They don't want to run Rosetta on their machine. I totally get it. All non native software has gotten the boot off of my computer because I want to run everything in native code. Let them run their computer they way they want to, for gods sake.

Just to explain why I seem so argumentative, the "fuss" is in this stuff here:

"way behind […] being stubborn […] disingenuous […] misleading […] based on their misinformation […]"

I'm totally fine with somebody making the choice to "run their computer the way they want to" — what I find somewhat offensive is insinuating that not immediately catering to this (IMHO unreasonable at this time) choice is somebody else's f*%@-up, and even an outright con ("misleading") by renitent engineers, when the choice not to use completely transparent tools developed specifically for that person's situation is entirely their own. 

The company has made no false claims, they are not dragging their feet, they are completely on-board with every relevant development, and above all, they are working precisely along the guidance and the tools Apple has engineered into the system to help everybody move forward seamlessly and gracefully. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Rig 6 is now Apple Silicon native, joining Kontakt 6, of course.

2020 iMac (12.5.1)/2021 14" MacBook Pro, MOTU M4/Microlite, Minilab Mk2, APC40, LP 10.7.4, Live 11.1.6; Komplete 12, Arturia V-Collection/Effects/Pigments, the standard IK, Novation, iZotope, Spectrasonics, AAS and u-he stuff

Roland XP60, JV1010, MC307; Korg Z1, Yamaha RS7000; Mackie 1202VLZ

A LEGO sailboat from my son that makes me happy

There's an app available on the Apple App Store called PlugInfo which lets you know which of you plugins are running in Intel and/or Apple native mode.  Fantastic tool and updates in realtime.  £2.49.  

Having just moved to an M1, this has been invaluable in getting updates.  Interesting how many plugins don't yet support Apple Silicon and Monterey.  

2 hours ago, Keefy said:

There's an app available on the Apple App Store called PlugInfo which lets you know which of you plugins are running in Intel and/or Apple native mode.  Fantastic tool and updates in realtime.  £2.49.  

Having just moved to an M1, this has been invaluable in getting updates.  Interesting how many plugins don't yet support Apple Silicon and Monterey.  

seems almost everything runs on monterey, just not everything is silicon-ready (which i think is what you're saying).

LP10.7.4 • os13b • 3.2GHz i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection  upstatebrooklyn

16 minutes ago, fisherking said:

seems almost everything runs on monterey, just not everything is silicon-ready (which i think is what you're saying).

Yes. The app I mentioned is looking at the processor type supported by each plugin, not the operating system. I’ll try upgrading my old Intel MacBook with Monterey and see what happens.  

PlugInfo is highly recommended. I always have it running when installing plugins so I can monitor what gets installed, remove non-required plugin formats if the installer doesn't give you the option to only install what you want, and check native support and more...

• Like 1

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

I am new to this forum so I may not be understanding the content here. I have Logic Pro X and a VALIDATED plug-in EX Drummer 3. I cannot get Logic to show this plug-in in the Audio Units listing. I have seen threads that show that Superior Drummer shows up and works natively. What is the trick to make this happen? I'm on M1 Pro chip.

4 hours ago, Markus2010 said:

I have Logic Pro X and a VALIDATED plug-in EX Drummer 3. I cannot get Logic to show this plug-in in the Audio Units listing. I have seen threads that show that Superior Drummer shows up and works natively. What is the trick to make this happen? I'm on M1 Pro chip.

Hi Markus, I recommend you start a new topic for your question. Go to the Logic Pro forum and click the green "Start New Topic" button at the top. 

My new Logic Pro Book is out!

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Luca Mastropietro said:

Hi

I d like to know if ezdrummer 2 work with a 2022 mac air mojave with m2 chip

Thanks a lot

Luca

if you buy an M2 air now, it will come with monterey; you can't run mojave on it. if you buy an air by late october (or after), it may ship with ventura... just mentioning.

you can always email the developer of ezdrummer2, and ask them about compatibility...

Edited by fisherking

LP10.7.4 • os13b • 3.2GHz i7 imac • one plugin short of perfection  upstatebrooklyn

23 minutes ago, Luca Mastropietro said:

I d like to know if ezdrummer 2 work with a 2022 mac air mojave with m2 chip

EZ Drummer 2 is Intel only, and works here on Monterey on an M1pro MBP (under Rosetta, obviously).

• Like 1

mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio | Legacy Logic Project Conversion | Logic 10.7.4, MBP 16" M1pro

8 minutes ago, WCMusician said:

If I run Logic Pro in Rosetta 2 Mode and one plugin happens to be M1 native, would that plugin run M1 native by default and “ignore” Rosetta 2?

No. If you're running the DAW under Rosetta, *everything* is using Intel code, running under Rosetta. You'd only be using the Intel binaries, and ignore any ARM binaries a plugin may have.

The only way you can mix architectures, is by running Logic natively, in which case, Logic and native plugins run natively, and Intel plugins run under Rosetta.

4 minutes ago, des99 said:

No. If you're running the DAW under Rosetta, *everything* is using Intel code, running under Rosetta. You'd only be using the Intel binaries, and ignore any ARM binaries a plugin may have.

The only way you can mix architectures, is by running Logic natively, in which case, Logic and native plugins run natively, and Intel plugins run under Rosetta.

Thank you for this info!

I keep having to use Rosetta 2 because Native Instruments simply won’t load my Kontakt libraries beyond 1 GB of RAM. It’s truly a bummer. I posted it a few pages back and it’s still an issue for some. 

16 minutes ago, Miguel972 said:

Melodyne was just updated to 5.3 but still no ARA mode in native silicon.

I expect this will require a Logic update if it's going to ever work - plugins now run out of process, and so don't have the same way of accessing the audio data stored inside Logic, so it's a technical limitation currently, as I understand.

Celemony explained it thus:

When Apple Logic Pro is run natively on Apple Silicon, it runs Audio Unit plug-ins outside Logic’s own process space. This is actually an important advantage for users, as it prevents Logic from quitting whenever a plug-in crashes. Unfortunately, although this method of hosting AU plug-ins enhances stability, it does not yet fully support third-party extensions like ARA.