Midi recording ... merge, replace, folders ... oh my

wonderlover

I'm learning Logic and a little confused about the Midi recording parameters when it comes to Merge vs Replace.

Running some tests, no matter whether this icon was colored or not, the new recording pass replaced the previous recording.

Screen-Shot-2021-05-23-at-7-22-37-PM.png

That got me a little confused.

When I'm doing midi drums, I will "always" want to merge (overlap) my recording passes. When doing midi keys or bass, I'll almost always replace.

Sometimes the cycle will be on (to auto-rewind to my desired start point) and sometimes it will be off ... so ... Do I always have to go into Preferences and change the preference for Midi Recording?

It seems to me that if I want to REPLACE the existing midi data, the icon above will be colored as shown. If I want to MERGE with the existing midi data, the button above will not be colored.

Do I have this concept wrong?

From the Logic manual:

Replace software instrument recordings in Logic Pro

When you’re recording, you can replace all or part of a previous performance while recording a new one. You do this by recording in Replace mode. You can choose one of the following Replace mode behaviors from the Replace pop-up menu:

Region Erase: Erases MIDI regions from the Tracks area from the start of recording until the end of recording, even if nothing is played.

Region Punch: Erases MIDI regions only where MIDI events have been recorded.

Content Erase: Does not erase MIDI regions but the MIDI content inside of them, from the start of recording until the end of recording, even if nothing is played.

Content Punch: Does not erase MIDI regions but the MIDI content inside of them, only where MIDI events have been recorded.

Do I always have to go into Preferences and change the preference for Midi Recording?

No: just set it to to Merge both for Cycle on and Cycle off, then you don't need to change it again.

It seems to me that if I want to REPLACE the existing midi data, the icon above will be colored as shown. If I want to MERGE with the existing midi data, the button above will not be colored.

Do I have this concept wrong?

You have it right. Just click the button to toggle Replace mode on/off. There's also a key command to toggle Replace mode: choose Logic Pro > Key Commands > Edit and search for "Replace".