Articulation set for Keyswitches that use velocity

Thorny

I am trying to make an articulation set for AU Swam Solo Strings. The keyswitch to change from bow to pizzicato to col legno uses C-1 plus a velocity level: low, medium or high. I have tried to create a set with the output window assigning Bow, Note-on,C-1 and a value of 1. For pizzicato and col legno the same but a value of 65 and 127 respectively. It does not work.

I have probably misunderstood something on the SWAM side, but am I correct in using the articulation set to try to assign a velocity value to a keyswitch using the output window? Apple documentation relates that value to velocity but I can't tell if it is looking for it or assigning it.

First, create C-1 notes with the different velocities manually at different places in the MIDI region where you have a few notes triggering the instrument and double-check that it does actually switch the articulations in the instrument. That way you'll know if the issue is with the instrument not interpreting the keyswitches, or your articulation set not sending the MIDI notes.

Thanks, David. I had already tried that and had finally gotten a traditional keyswitch to work, but it would not work on C-1; it showed as a D double-flat which Logic did not seem to recognize as a C. Apparently that was because C-1 is the lowest note that Logic is set for. At least that is true for my instance, and I don't know how to change it down to C-2, or if that is possible. At any rate, I got it working on C0 but never went back to change the articulation set to C0 and try again. Your response reminded me to do that.

The good news is that it does work! However, the articulation for each pizzicato note needs to be set explicitly. Apparently, the first articulation listed in the set becomes the default, because I did not need to change back to "bow" after the pizzicato ends.

It was interesting that the keyswitch that happened when I directly wrote the note at C0 did act like a switch: after I set the first note to pizzicato, that stayed on for every note until I inserted a new C0 note with a velocity of 1 to switch it back to bow. I guess the Logic articulation system works only one-per-note, not like a switch.