Viewing video on its own track?

Ben Ged Low

After years of using Logic, can you believe ... I don't know how to get the 'video' to show up as its OWN track ... as I see in the title picture on your site.

I looked for the trick once in the manual ... twenty minutes, couldn't find it.

I bet it is something phenomenally easy.

Holding my breath,

Ben

Arrange / View / Global Track Components / Video.

Then, in the Video Thumbnail Track, "Open Movie" and navigate to the file. (If a movie is already open in the Logic file in its own QT window, enabling the thumbnail track will show it immediately.)

Cheer up. Everything in Logic is easy once you know it.

Thank you most kindly Plowman,

I started when all there was was only 2 track. Up through 4,8,24 tracks, multi-million dollar studios, from symphony orchestras to just me and a desktop studio ... but I've become primarily a filmmaker, not a composer, so I've had to add all the post production software to my eternal learning curve, besides the new digital camera technology... I can now make an entire film, start to finish, all by myself. Whoopee. And all I want to do is go back to working with some real people, outside this cutting room.

No more manuals.

Thanks again, you saved me an hour of digging ... Ben

"And all I want to do is go back to working with some real people, outside this cutting room."

Ah, the human condition. I'm reminded of Tennyson's "Palace of Art," in which the protagonist seeks to shield away all human contact in the inundation of art, only to find she no longer sees meaning in art without people.

Cheers to your project.

Thank you Plowman,

Got it working.... the thumbnails. Wonder what version of Logic you were referring to. I'm on Logic Pro 6.x ... and the order combination:

arrange\view\global track components\video doesn't seem to exist

Is it Pro 7 you were referring to? I'm planning to upgrade soon ... but am wary if they've gone and changed a bunch of the menu functions again. I was hoping Apple was going to add some Apple logic to their otherwise somewhat illogical system. Good. But illogical (according to MY logic).

Thanks again,

B.

Hi Ben. Indeed, I was referring to Logic 7.1. Some menu functions were reshuffled, but the vast majority stayed the same. The concept of Global Tracks premiered with 7.0, and a video thumbnail track is one of them.

I have fond memories of 6.4.3, but the juggernaut of technology rolled through my studio and demanded an upgrade.