Bounce Stereo to Mono First?

I've recently been receiving stems from a songwriter that are all stereo audio tracks.

Unless it's an actual stereo recording, I've been bouncing these to mono before I start mixing.

Is this something that you guys do, or do you deal with the stereo tracks?

In a related question, if I put a stereo version of a plug-in on the track and then bounce this to mono, will that plug-in work correctly or should I replace it with the mono version?

is it a true stereo track, with different info across the soundfield? or mono recordings, bounced to stereo.

i get those all the time from collabs, usually mono vocal recordings. you can make the channel strip mono... and just get on with it. no need to go thru all those steps. IF it's a mono recording...

as far as effects... if it's, for example, a stereo reverb, then bouncing to mono would screw that up. but really, use the files you have, and dive into the real work...

If you really need to "fix" them easily? $50 for SteroMonoizer

Why would you post this?

Why would I post a link to a software tool that will "fix" audio files in a quick and useful way? Feed it a folder of 100 files, define a couple of rules, push the button and the proper format of audio is there.

Edit - the tool is StereoMonoizer - it can determine if a stereo file is really mono, and make it mono if you want.