Input latency question

bebenavole

Hello,

I get input latency when recording acoustic guitar thru a mic.

Opened an older project. Saved everything. Checked the buffers. Restarted the computer.

Huge delay. Direct soundcard signal is perfect.

The only option that eliminates it is the low latency mode which I never had to use before.

The input fader meter is reacting/peaking slower than the output. Even in pre-fader mode

What am I missing?

What is happening?

Why this problem all of a sudden?

Thank you

Best

Adam

EDIT:

opened a fresh/empty project...everything works fine

735948945_Screenshot2022-01-04at16_47_46.png.a8fbee81d19b79b003b8c7addf9b5daa.png

709664783_Screenshot2022-01-04at16_49_26.thumb.png.47ec16c7b47dd4b6c6c4464ba0f7cbda.png

208516539_Screenshot2022-01-04at16_49_48.png.cfc1f5a5738ce879c806d2105fabe593.png

"Somewhere in the signal chain" does not necessarily mean it's on that channel, or on the output.

If *any* plugin pushes back the audio signal because it requires real-time latency that can't be back compensated for, Logic has to delay *everything* to match it so everything lines up. Low latency mode disables any plugin that is causing this, which is why your problem goes away in low latency mode (which is what it's for).

So David's answer is correct - you'll need to find the offending plugin/s if you wish to know which are causing this.

Having latent plugins on any aux in your project will cause this latency, no matter if it's in your recording path or not. I suspect your Enverb being the culprit here, since it introduces 50ms latency in its default setting, and it's inserted on an aux channel strip. Try removing it completely and see if the latency is gone ?

Since you have Plugin Delay Compensation set to All, everything including your live recording signal waits until the slowest/longest process is calculated.

How can you tell?

Can I disable this?

Any benefits or is this a recommended setup/preset?

BTW this is an old Logic 9 project saved as Logic X

thanks

How can you tell?

Fascinating, isn't it? Actually, the situation you describe (you experiencing latency on a recording track from seemingly unrelated plugins) is telling me this.

Can I disable this?

Yes. Activate Low Latency Mode.

Any benefits

Yes. PDC ensures all audio streams being in sync when they arrive at the Stereo Out.

You need to remove the plugins completely. Begin with the Enverb...

So not just turning them off?

You need to remove the plugins completely. Begin with the Enverb...

As he stated. Bypassing them does not change timing, otherwise you'd get audio moving backwards and forwards and glitching when automating or toggling bypass.

Your answer honestly made me laugh :D Thank you. I will try and open another older project and see how things go there. I mean I know I've worked on older projects with a lot of plugins and this issue never came up or I just plain dont't remember. Or maybe I suppressed it heheheheh

Thank you once again. It's good to know there is always a way around these things

Your answer honestly made me laugh :D Thank you.

Yes after you quoted it with your original statement, I can see how my answer could be interpreted as a truism. :mrgreen:

I will try and open another older project and see how things go there. I mean I know I've worked on older projects with a lot of plugins and this issue never came up or I just plain dont't remember.

Yes keep in mind that all plugins are not build the same. Some introduce zero latency, some introduce barely noticeable latency, and some introduce more... so it all depends on how exactly the plug-ins are used, and which plug-ins, and how much latency each one introduces.