So many questions from a newbie...

PDXSmitty

Actually, I've been using Logic X for quite a while but still only have surface level knowledge. So thought I'd ask some of my burning questions in one fell swoop. I record myself mostly playing acoustic guitar and mandolin, one track at a time. I use a KM184>Apogee Duet>MacBook Pro.

Tracking Questions:

• I've heard the adage "track as if you can't mix" so I try to record my individual tracks in the same ballpark level-wise. I've read -18db is a good level for tracking. Should that be the goal for peaks with the "average" for the performance being quieter than that or should the "average" be -18db-ish with peaks being louder?

• What is the best way to monitor tracking levels? I have a hard time seeing the meter on the channel strip especially when I'm not standing/sitting right next to my monitor. And I'm not sure what the two boxes just above the meter are that display numerical values. Should I pay attention to them? Once I've recorded a track, before I move on, what's the best way to see what level it was recorded at?

Mixing/Mastering Questions:

• If I need to boost the overall volume of a track, is it better to use the track sliders in the mixing window or insert the Gain plug-in into the track and use that?

• When I track all my parts at a -18db to -20db level, the LUFS level on the Master Stereo track ends up being in the -20s. To get the final file to the -14 LUFS level, should I A) use the Gain insert on each individual track to bring up each individual track, or B) use the Gain insert on the Master Stereo track to boost the overall level, or C) some of both?

Using Reverb:

I've done it three ways - insert to each track, just adding universal reverb on the Master Track and also setting up an Aux track with reverb inserted and busing the individual tracks to it. Two questions when using the bus method:

A) if I don't want any reverb on a specific track, I can just disable the Send on that track and no reverb will be applied? Also, next to the Bus button on each track in the Mixing window is a little dial. Does that dial allow me to control the amount of reverb applied to that track only?

A lot of questions I know - thanks for your patience to anyone who takes time to read and respond!

Welcome to Logic Pro Help. That's a lot of questions in a single topic! I'll answer a couple but I recommend you try to create new topics for the other, and in general one new topic for each new question you have (unless they really concern the same topic and deserve to be discussed in the same thread of course). Don't hesitate to create new topics! :D

Tracking Questions:

• I've heard the adage "track as if you can't mix" so I try to record my individual tracks in the same ballpark level-wise. I've read -18db is a good level for tracking. Should that be the goal for peaks with the "average" for the performance being quieter than that or should the "average" be -18db-ish with peaks being louder?

Mixing isn't about numbers. It's about what you want to hear. What if you want to have a loud, in your face singer, with a tiny, very subtle flute sound way in the back? You won't be able to achieve that effect if they both have the same target average or peak or whatsoever.

I recommend you record your tracks so that they do not hit 0 dBFS and mix so that you hear the balance you want to hear. Mixing is not a technical process where you try to get everything even, just like you wouldn't necessarily be doing a painting by trying to use the same amounts of each color in the rainbow.

Mixing is a creative process where you have to beware of technical hurdles. There are various workflows that can facilitate the creative process for you (and they're often personal) and can help you avoid technical hurdles, but the only rule is to not go over 0 dBFS on the Stereo Out meters.

• What is the best way to monitor tracking levels? I have a hard time seeing the meter on the channel strip especially when I'm not standing/sitting right next to my monitor. And I'm not sure what the two boxes just above the meter are that display numerical values. Should I pay attention to them? Once I've recorded a track, before I move on, what's the best way to see what level it was recorded at?

The box on the left (above the volume fader) shows you how much gain you're applying with the volume fader (at the output of the channel strip), it's basically a numerical value for the fader position. The box on the right is the peak detector, it tells you the loudest level you've reached since you last started or stopped playback (or clicked the peak detector). You can set up Logic for recording, go to your instrument, play as loud as you will during the recording, come back and see what peak level shows, and as long as it's not too close to 0 dBFS (roughly say it's somewhere between -10 to -5 dBFS), you're fine. The goal is to not hit 0 dBFS during the recording.