What does "Length" mean in the edit window?

Yabbadabbadoo

Well this didn't work for my purposes as I think it only measured the Hz of one of my vocal fry blips and not the length between them so I can well what hz and therefore note it is :-(

Any ideas?

Can you post a screenshot of you measuring the period or half-period of the waveform? Frequency (Hz) is inversely proportional to wavelength so if you can measure one you can deduct the other. However in your sample it's hard to hear a clear pitch so I'm not sure you'll be able to recognize a signal that is periodic enough to measuring a frequency at all. Frequency is a measure of how often something reoccurs but if nothing reoccurs then there's no frequency. Your vocal fry is closer to noise than a pitched sound.

Thanks!

Yeah I can’t post it atm but later.

The Guinness record for lowest pitch is some note in the minus 7 octave and the hz is ridiculously low like one of those fry blips every 5.2 seconds. So no, you can’t hear a note but you can calculate a hz/pitch as I understand it.

So that’s what I’m looking to do.

Well, I can emit a vocal fry every six seconds and also every fifteen seconds if necessary, so that should give you a hint about the value of that world record...

I agree, I have the same thoughts about it.

What could be the easiest way to measure the bpm of my fry blips?

I got a formula that would then tell me the hz etc

The Guinness record for lowest pitch is some note in the minus 7 octave and the hz is ridiculously low like one of those fry blips every 5.2 seconds. So no, you can’t hear a note but you can calculate a hz/pitch as I understand it.

Ok so yes you can say that your heart is beating at 1 Hz (1 beat every second) but that does not create a pitch. No one hears a pitched sound when you clap your hands once a second.

Nonetheless you're correct, you can measure the time between any two events in the Audio File editor, and invert it to get a frequency. For example if the time is 2 seconds then the frequency is 1/2 Hz.

There's a pretty fascinating essay on youtube by Adam Neely where he discusses how tone turns to rhythm when slow enough, well worthlooking that up.

First of all, as David pointed out, something must be periodic to earn the name tone / rhythm.

In the Main window, set up a Cycle of a quarter note.

Now set up a Range between two peaks in the Audio File Editor. You can play that selection in Loop to verify the "pitch" you think you're aiming at. Then Audio File Editor > Functions > Adjust Tempo By Selection And Locators. This will set Logic's tempo to the bpm of the source file.

So the time between the blips are 401 ms, which leads to around 150 bpm if I’m right and then divided by 60 that’s 2,5 hz. Right?

I'm not sure where the 150 bpm comes into play?

It's simply Frequency = 1/0.401 = 2.5 Hz.

Yeah I don't know either, I just got a formula from a bass vocal expert but since I'm weak in maths I might have messed it up anyway :-)

And yes that seems an easier way to go about it since Logic shows the selected length in ms.

So my fry would be an Eb minus 2 as I understand it.

There's a pretty fascinating essay on youtube by Adam Neely where he discusses how tone turns to rhythm when slow enough, well worthlooking that up.

First of all, as David pointed out, something must be periodic to earn the name tone / rhythm.

In the Main window, set up a Cycle of a quarter note.

Now set up a Range between two peaks in the Audio File Editor. You can play that selection in Loop to verify the "pitch" you think you're aiming at. Then Audio File Editor > Functions > Adjust Tempo By Selection And Locators. This will set Logic's tempo to the bpm of the source file.

Thanks a lot and yes that sounds interesting.

I wonder what the lowest vocal note is that you(people) hear as a note? Before it's just blips too far separated.

Lowest note is somewhere around 16 or so Hz. Technically, blips are illegal here as they themselves are made of 'packets' of higher frequencies. Try Logic's Test Oscillator with a sine wave, this one is really at 1350Hz if it says so, without any overtones.

Lowest vocal note, hmm. Blips may exist, but only as jaggies on top of an actual low waveform, otherwise, yeah, even I can do that. Check youtube for folks trying to hit and sustain low notes and see for yourself where you draw the line between "wow" and "come on, dude, really ?"

Edited by fuzzfilth

https://voca.ro/13WGIYgoC4t5

Yeah my lowest recorded note is around F#0 but there is more of a bassy sound around D1.

That sounds actually pretty cool !! And indeed we can hear the pitch there. Can you make some kind of melody with two or three notes around that range?

Thanks! It’s pretty shaky so far but working on it

I’m working both my low end extremes and high end(whistle notes) at the moment. Highest so far is a C#8 with a short melody:

https://voca.ro/18gLxaLZtavh

Thanks! It’s pretty shaky so far but working on it

I’m working both my low end extremes and high end(whistle notes) at the moment. Highest so far is a C#8 with a short melody:

https://voca.ro/18gLxaLZtavh

WHAT THE....??!!! Seriously that's insane. Pretty amazing. :lol:

Hahaha, thanks man. But it still don't have total access to my whistle register at all...but I just started so I assume it'll take a while.

But yeah it's high. I can have Mariah sing bass for me with her whistle notes, hahaha.

Wanna hear the most insane thing? While trying to find my whistle register I played around with my voice and managed to squeak out about an F9.

It's ugly, breathy, weak and probably not singing(some overtone?) but my dogs started barking when they heard it, haha.

Don't think it'll ever work itself into my singing though: https://voca.ro/1ou19oHRZw0H

https://voca.ro/13WGIYgoC4t5

Yeah my lowest recorded note is around F#0 but there is more of a bassy sound around D1.

That sounds actually pretty cool !! And indeed we can hear the pitch there. Can you make some kind of melody with two or three notes around that range?

I might have gotten down to a D0 at the bottom here:

https://voca.ro/1eZRHhdw35Sw